Oca Tubers - last few

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
********SOLD OUT********

Oca is one of the 'Lost Crops' of the Incas and still eaten widely in South America.

Seed Oca by British Red, on Flickr

Its grown just like potato and tastes like potato with lemon on. It is though unrelated to the potato and completely immune to blight.

Another advantage over spuds is that you eat the foliage - the nearest I can come is wood sorrel (which it resembles although much larger and bushier)

The combination of blight immunity and edible foliage make it, for us, a far better crop than potatoes. However they are unfortunately more expensive than seed potatoes. However small Oca tubers can be kept back and replanted, so you only have to buy them once

Oca PLants by British Red, on Flickr

The tubers start to form in short days (November on), so if you are in the far North, skip it. I have grown it for several years in Lincolnshire without a problem so I would say you should be okay in the Midlands or South of the Midlands.

You plant it 1 foot apart (rows and plants) after the risk of frost has passed (I usually risk it in March). You can chit like spuds, but I have planted without and they all grew.

Planted oca by British Red, on Flickr

Red oca by British Red, on Flickr

You cannot harvest though until two weeks after frost has killed the top growth - which was January this year :)

Frosted Oca by British Red, on Flickr

I get about a pound of bulbs per square foot. Keep a few back and plant next year.

Lifted Oca by British Red, on Flickr

Real seeds charge £8 for 5 or 6 of these (plus postage)

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/unusualtubers.html

I will happily supply 10 tubers for £5 plus p&p of £3.

If you want more than 10 tubers, this is not a problem, the £3 (small parcel) can hold up to 20 tubers.

If you want some, put a post on here with how many you want then shoot me a PM with how many you need and we'll sort it out.

Payment by PayPal only please :)

So
10 tubers : £8
20 tubers: £13

There are 0 tubers left after we have put our seed supply and eating supply to one side. If there are any left overs following Spring planting, I will start a new thread.

Red

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oxalis Tuberosa :)

PM me with your address and how many you want - might have changed the paypal addy so hang on for now!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No problem Dave - they aren't actually citrus - its Oxalic acid - the "green apple peel" taste that sorrel has - but better safe than sorry :)

Right, two batches of ten are sold....

40 left to go.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Probably a stupid question* :sad6: ... Is Oca suitable for containerised growing?

If it is then yes please, for 10 :D

* Always ask the stupid questions ... it can prevent so many simple errors :eek: :D .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Probably a stupid question* :sad6: ... Is Oca suitable for containerised growing?

If it is then yes please, for 10 :D

* Always ask the stupid questions ... it can prevent so many simple errors :eek: :D .

It certainly is - indeed some choose to container grow to extend the growing season. You need a reasonable sized pot (say 12"). Larger pots can take multiple tubers.

Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll pack you ten up :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is it too grim in Leeds for these Hugh? Our garden tends to stay 2 or 3 degrees warmer than my folks who are out in the sticks.

I might just give 10 a go anyway?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is it too grim in Leeds for these Hugh? Our garden tends to stay 2 or 3 degrees warmer than my folks who are out in the sticks.

I might just give 10 a go anyway?

They will grow fine Rich - and the foliage is edible (and very nice too). Like wood sorrell on speed. The question will be whether they survive long enough to form tubers. The longer they live without frosts the better. Ideally you need to be in an area that does not get a hard frost in November. If you pot grow them and can pop the pots in an unheated greenhouse, or conservatory in late Autumn, I'm sure you could get away with it. Mary is going to have a shot in pots.

Realseeds have grown it in Cambridgeshire and West Wales and I can report great success on the Wash in Lincolnshire. Yorkshire? I'd be interested to find out :) Be fun to have a "how far North" competition ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mr Punch and Tony got the last of them (working in order of posts). Sorry Coldfeet - all gone for now :(.

If there are any left over when I plant out in the SPring, I promise to post them up here in good time for planting out :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE