Oatcakes: Something from Staffordshire...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The oatcake:
Essentially an oatmeal pancake...

oatcake_203.jpg

History of the Oatcake:
Anyone who has ever been to Staffordshire or the potteries, can hardly of escaped even passing through without traying an oatcake. The potteries Oatcake is infamous the world over, loved by those who grew up with the warm, stodgy pankack on a sunday morning with bacon and eggs, but you'll rarely see it for sale in any supermarket outside of Staffordshire. The humble Oatcake recipie is, in fact, a closely guarded secret. Each family owned shop has there own particular recipie and that recipie only changes hands with the shop itself. Even the fanzine for SCFC is called ... The Oatcake www.oatcake.co.uk . However, secret as it may be, the basics of it, are known and it is possible to make a pretty good facsimilie.

What to do with it:
Oatcakes are traditionally eaten warm, sometimes cold, but always fresh on the day of making. Put a slice of bacon in one, spread on some melted cheese and roll up, for a unique take on a bacon and cheese butty. Or just melted cheese. Use as a bread substitue for dipping in you egg and tomatoes on a sunday morning (delicious) or they can be used as a sweet. There are dozens of applications, they go with almost everything, sweet or savory, hot or cold. They are increadibly filling and delicious. Forget bannocks, try oatcakes and you'll never go back.

The recipie:
Although I havent tried this particular recipie yet, it looks like a usefull take on the theme, particularly because all the ingredients are dried and therefore packable....

1LB.4OZS. OF MEDIUM COARSE OATMEAL.
12 OZS STRONG WHITE PLAIN FLOUR.
3 TBLS. DRIED SKIMMED MILK.
4 TSPS. QUICK ACT DRIED YEAST.
2 TSPS. SUGAR.

Place all ingredients into large bowl and make well in centre. Put in 1 and three quarter pints warm water and mix well. (Mixture should be quite ''loose'' like pancake batter. This may thicken after standinng ''loosen'' again to a batter consistency).

Now cover and place in a warm place (airing cupboard, or by a fire) for about 1hour 30 mins. - 2 hours. Time is not crucial but try not to leave it much longer than this.

After standing, uncover and mix well. Add more warm water if necessary, possibly about a pint to make it into 'loose' batter. Now add 2 tsps salt - do not do this sooner or you will kill the yeast.

Heat a bakestone, griddle, hot rock or frying pan and use about a tsp. of oil for each oatcake. Once heated, adjust the heat down slightly and cook on both sides until all mixture is set. Make sure you 'roll' the pan to get an even coveridge - you'll soon get the idea of how thick you want them, but they should be like thick pancakes.

Cool on racks. These are now ready to do as you want with, either try with bacon eggs etc. or wrap cheese in them and warm in microwave or under grill.

You can now batch what you don't want today and pop in the freezer (remembering to put in the right amount for each meal or you wont be able to separate them while they are frozen). You can now have oatcakes just when you fancy them.

Another tip - while you are standing making them, have a plate at the ready because they are delicious straight from the pan with a little golden syrup on and rolled up.

The above amount makes about 35 oatcakes depending on size and thickness.
--------------------------------------

Like I said, I havent tried this particular recipie, but it looks good compared to those I've tried in the past. Some say use fresh warmed milk instead of dried, but the rest is pretty much the same ingredients.

It should be fairly straightforward to make them at a campsite, with just a trangia. Being little more than a leavened oatmeal pancacke. :)

Anyone up for giving it a go? I hope so, in olden times, sharing an oatcake recipie with outsiders would merit a kneecaping at least. :eek: :D

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Martyn, you make em sound mouthwatering.
I am gonna give it a go, for sure.

Should they turn out,( as most of my cooking does) badly, I can always fit them with handles and flog em, as plasterers hawks.

Ceeg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Seagull said:
Martyn, you make em sound mouthwatering.
I am gonna give it a go, for sure.

Should they turn out,( as most of my cooking does) badly, I can always fit them with handles and flog em, as plasterers hawks.

Ceeg

Go for it mate, you'll love em. We usually buy em by the half dozen or dozen. A really nice snack is to just put a few slices of cheese in them, roll them up and microwave till the cheese melts - eat hot.

Yum! :D

basically, you can use em as a bread substitue. Spread jam on em and eat cold, or dip em in your rabbit stew like a lump of bread. You are limited only by your imagination. :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Cheers Martyn - I've taken down the recipe, hopefully I'll give it a try this week.

I've been thinking about making Scottish oatcakes to take down to the moot. These seem quite different from your description. Very interesting.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Having just mastered the bannock these are likely to be my next project, your description makes them irresistible.

PS. Saturday was a bannock day, favourite was fresh herbs in the dough made thinly and topped off with olive oil when done. Olive oil does seem a bit of a liability in the rucky so this might be confined to tailgate camping.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
scruff said:
Cheers Martyn - I've taken down the recipe, hopefully I'll give it a try this week.

I've been thinking about making Scottish oatcakes to take down to the moot. These seem quite different from your description. Very interesting.

Yup, ours have taste and texture and aren't chewy, pasty boot soles :p
I was given English oatcakes to try in Buxton one year, and they were *sooooo* not what I expected. :eek:
Ours are crisp, crumbly, nutty, and meant to be cooked on a fire and dried out on a hearthstone. Like Elvish lemba they are very sustaining. :approve:

Cheers,
Toddy

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Toddy said:
Yup, ours have taste and texture and aren't chewy, pasty boot soles :p
I was given English oatcakes to try in Buxton one year, and they were *sooooo* not what I expected. :eek:
Ours are crisp, crumbly, nutty, and meant to be cooked on a fire and dried out on a hearthstone. Like Elvish lemba they are very sustaining. :approve:

Cheers,
Toddy

Ahhhh, well you see you have to leave your preconceptions at the door. ;) :p

I was raised on these things and love em, they are so versatile. Untill recently, I'd never heard of Scottish oatcakes, sound like quite a different animal..

Staffordshire oatcakes are like a slightly doughy, soft, slightly stretchy, oatmeal pancake and untill you've used em to mop up yer bacon, eggs and tomato, you havent lived. :)

Oh, and they are not English oatcakes, I think they make em in parts of Derby as well as Staffordshire, but that's it. The recipie is supposed to be a guarded secret and yopu'll rarely see em anywhere but Staffs and Derby. Occasionally you can find em elsewhere, but they are not the same. A bit like the difference between Mr Kiplings Bakewell tarts and the real deal Bakewell pudding from Bakewell.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, maybe......
You should have seen the look on my sons (then 5 & 7) when they were given them too......it was one of those trying very hard to be polite in company, "But Muuuum????" moments :D
Not English? okay (though it was in Derbyshire) how about yours are soggy oatcakes and ours are crispy? :p

Cheers,
Toddy

I know, I know, you lot like steamed pudding and we like the cheugh skin on a dumpling :D
M

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Toddy said:
Not English? okay (though it was in Derbyshire) how about yours are soggy oatcakes and ours are crispy? :p

Ahhh, that'd be the problem then, real oatcakes are from North Staffordshire, you got a cheap immitation. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oatcake

The tunstall tortilla :D...
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/north-staffordshire-oatcakes/1027462/
What did you have for breakfast this morning? Cereal, Toast, Fruit, Full English?

Well I had North Staffordshire Oatcakes.

You might never have heard of North Staffs Oatcakes but they are a local delicacy to me, and I can't get enough of them. Not to be confused with Scottish Oatcakes, Staffs oatcakes are more like pancakes, being flat and about eight inches across, and made from oatmeal, whole wheat flour, yeast, milk and water.

Oatcakes have been around for centuries, and were documented by James Boswell as early as 1776, in his Journal 'Life of Johnson.' This is a biography of Dr Samuel Johnson, the writer of the very first dictionary, who lived in Lichfield, Staffs.

It is believed that when the Staffordshire military went to British Colonial India, they enjoyed the local flat bread, and tried to make their own when they returned home. But being in a totally different climate, the ingredients they needed were not available, so they used the nearest equivalent. So they invented the Oatcake, which they were able to tuck into there pockets on the way to the mines.

Up until a few years ago, Oatcakes were only available in the many Oatcake shops around North Staffs, but lately they have become widely available in supermarkets across the country. These are just imitations, which are very thick and rubbery. They are nothing like the real things, that are very thin. All being well though, you all don't live in Staffordshire.

The only place to get real ones is in the many shops around Stoke-on-Trent and Newcastle-under-Lyme. Every Oatcake shop works to their own recipe, and you wouldn't get two shops tasting the same. My favourite just happens to be the one which is 200 metre from my house. You can't beat going outside on a warm morning and smelling the Oatcakes cooking. I used to walk up on a Saturday morning and buy 16, but by the time I got home there would only be a dozen left.

All of the shops that I have used sell them at around the same price, usually about £1.20 for a dozen. In some shops you can buy them in singles, but they are normally bought in dozens. You can even get filled oatcakes in some shops, with a filling of your choice.

Oatcakes can be enjoyed in many ways, sweet, savoury, or my favourite, on their own. Of course you could probably put whatever you wanted on them. You can eat them cold, but they are usually eaten warm. It is more traditional to have them with cheese. Grate some cheese onto the oatcake, roll it up, bung it in the oven or microwave for a couple of minutes. Divine.

A lot of people that I know also have them with Bacon on, and I must say that this is one of my favourite meals. Bacon and Cheese Oatcakes, mmmmm.

Another way that I eat them is with Chips, put a few in the middle, roll it up and dip into ketchup. Believe me this is very nice, but neither I, nor my elder brother who also does the same, has managed to convince anybody yet.

While there are basic ingredients of Oatcakes, each shop has its own secret, and apparently the only way you can get to know the secret is to buy the business from the current owner.

Oatcakes are quite healthy and are a good source of fibre, although the nutritional value depends on what your filling is of course. They are best eaten fresh, and within 24 hours of purchase. You can also freeze them. In fact, I have family who live in the south, and every time that I visit I have to take quite a large quantity to be frozen so that they have at least a six month supply.

You can try and make them yourself if you like, the recipe is as follows, but to be honest I would just leave it to the experts.

Ingredients:
• 8oz fine oatmeal
• 8oz whole wheat or plain flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2oz fresh yeast
• 1 1/2 pints warm milk and water, mixed half and half
• 1 teaspoon sugar

Method:
1. Add the salt to the flour and oatmeal.
2. Dissolve the yeast with a little warm liquid and add the sugar. Allow the mixture to become frothy.
3. Mix the dry ingredients with the yeast liquid to make a batter.
4. Cover the batter with a clean cloth and leave it in a warm place for an hour.
5. Bake the oatcake on a well-greased griddle. Put enough batter onto the griddle to produce an oatcake about 8-9 inches in diameter. The surface will be covered in holes as it cooks. Turn the oatcake after 2 - 3 minutes when the upper side appears dry and the underneath is golden brown, and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes

If you ever get chance to visit North Staffordshire and The Potteries, please try Oatcakes, you won't be disappointed.

Oatcakes, bacon and cheese .mmmmmm

Can you smell em? :D

Oatcakes.jpg

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Toddy said:
Hmmm, maybe......
You should have seen the look on my sons (then 5 & 7) when they were given them too......it was one of those trying very hard to be polite in company, "But Muuuum????" moments :D

Cheers,
Toddy

I know, I know, you lot like steamed pudding and we like the cheugh skin on a dumpling :D
M
Real oatcakes, not the overcooked Scottish frisbies are the food of the gods, bacon blackudding, runny egg, fried potatoes, and lashings of ginger beer, (sorry slipped in to childhood mode then,) lashing of hot black tea/coffee. Real food, food that you can work go to work on.

AAT dumplings should be soft and fluffy :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No NO! :eek: Dumplings are fruity, spicy, dark and great with cream or custard :D
"Doughballs" belong in stew or mince :)

Scottish oatcakes get buttered, cheesed or jammy.....though I know of someone who caviar's his ones :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Toddy said:
No NO! :eek: Dumplings are fruity, spicy, dark and great with cream or custard :D
"Doughballs" belong in stew or mince :)

Toddy
You are not American are you? They have all sorts of weird ideas too, like their cheesecake has no cheese, and serving dill pickles with beef is considered “normal” or sin of sin giving cattle food (parsnips and the like) to humans

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:
Thems fightin' words boay! ;)
No, heartland Scot here :D y'know, *real* food :p
Much of our *traditional* cooking is French influenced, but parsnips are funny things (shudder, don't like them :yuck: ) HWMBLT on the other hand loves a bowl of them cut small, boiled, drained, buttered and black peppered. You've actually hit on one of the two vegetable type thingies that I won't eat; parsnips & coconuts......and I have never savoured the delight of the DF Mars Bar that's such a feature of modern gluttony......well they don't grow on trees :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE