oak tanned hyde

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
It is the amount of tannic acid leached out of the bark and soaked into the hide that does that vegetable tanning. So the more chopped up bark you have, the tannic acid will leach out. The more tannic acid in your solution, the faster it will soak into your hide. Less bark means more soaking time. More bark means less time soaking in the mixture.

And you check the progress of the "tan" by making a little cut through the hide somewhere thick. You can then see the color change through the hide where the tannic acid has soaked in from both sides.

Having your hide in that bark bath longer than necessary really doesn't hurt it. But you do need to get that solution to soak all the way through the hide, or else you will have "rawhide" in some thick areas.

So there are lots of "by guess and by golly" to oak bark tanning.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. And FRESH/GREEN bark has lots more tannic acid in it than old bark. A working "guess" would be somewhere between 1 and 2 times the volume of hide, and then only enough water to cover it all combined.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tan the hide in weak solution first and then make the solution stronger and stonger.

If a thick hide is soaked in too strong a solution, it stops further tanning from soaking through into all layers of the skin.

Try braintan.com for a better explaination.

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
thank you guys,
found the web site very useful..
didnt relise the green bark was higher concentration tannic acid.
i'll let you guys know how it goes.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I saw a program on a tannery and it apeared to have something like 20 tan pits of differing strength mixes and the hides were moved from one to the next over a long period of time...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE