Wiltshire
P8220026.jpg

next to an english oak leaf

the big leaf came from a garden tree

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
just noticed at the first leaf isn't a english oak. english oaks don't have a leaf stork but i think its a Sessile Oak (Quercus petraea) which does.

sessile oak is the only other native oak to the uk.

pete

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Agree red or scarlet oak (red most likely) for the one on the right, but less sure that the one on the left is a native either. It looks a bit narrow for Sessile oak (which is common where I live) and more like Turkey oak to me.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Tengu,
I find this an immensely frustrating subject. There's a reserve close to me, an old gravel quarry which was planted up in the 80's. On the margins are old roads, hedges and field systems, some of which appear to be of considerable age with big oaks, beeches, ash, pines and an astonishing variety in the hedges.

Some of the plantings from the 80's are not of native species and there is a vast array of oaks, many of which I've simply given up trying to identify as they don't seem to fit any single variety.

Maybe I'm just being thick but I have wondered about hybridisation, although I can't say I've looked into it. Is it a possibility?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Oaks do hybridise, or at least some species do, including the Sessile and English oaks. Nature has a tendency not to fit into the nice clear categories that we humans would like. It all adds to the fun (and the arguments) of identification.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The one on the right looks like Turkey oak(the ones I have seen have pointy leaf lobes) to me, not sure and would have to see the acorns to be more sure and I'm no expert.

If it is Turkey oak then its roots act as the home for knopper gall wasps for the first stage of their life cycle, then they go onto live in the acorns of our English (pedunculate) Oak and its a threat to them because it creates galls in the acorns which stop them being fertile. I'm not sure but I do seem to remember that you can make a dye from those galls so its not all bad news, possibly Toddy would be able to comment as she seems to know her stuff about dyes and quite a lot besides.

As the timber of the Turkey Oak splits and warps a lot and is pretty much worthless compared to the Pendunculate Oak I would rather take a chainsaw to them and get shot in order to protect our indigenous species but that's just me.

I had one I grew from an acorn and as soon as I found out it was a Turkey Oak it got fired in the compost bin.
Shame cos I liked the shape of the leaves.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE