Oak Buck Saw.

pwb

I've been waiting for the right piece of wood to come along so I can have a go a making a bucksaw, having been inspired by the excellent versions I've seen here :) .

Finally I found some oak which had been discarded because it had a bend in it. The bend actually turned out to suit the end pieces quite well.

Nothing fancy, making a folding saw is a bit beyond my wood working skills :rolleyes:

DSC01856Small.jpg

It's a 21" blade and has an 8" depth of cut. I found an old Sandvik snap on blade guard which is ideal for safe carry, it's a pity the don't supply them when you buy a spare blade.

Having given it a bit of a test on various woods including some real dry stuff , it seems to work fine other than needing a more rounded handle.

DSC01852Small.jpg

Having some canvas left over from another project I might make a pouch for it, shamelessly copying topknot's design :D .

Thanks for looking,

Pete.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Nice work Pete.
Beautiful JR too, is it a boy or a girl? Kids been pestering for over a year noew to get one. I must admit they are really clever? My mate owns two and said they think that they are human ;)

Shall I succumb and buy one? Love to hear your thoughts Pete.

Cheers
Craeg

pwb

Nice work Pete.
Beautiful JR too, is it a boy or a girl? Kids been pestering for over a year noew to get one. I must admit they are really clever? My mate owns two and said they think that they are human ;)

Shall I succumb and buy one? Love to hear your thoughts Pete.

Cheers
Craeg

Hi Craeg.The J/R in the picture is Mason and he's my neighbours young dog who likes to join me and my two when out and about :rolleyes: .
Here's a link to a picture of my pair , not quite as pretty though :) .
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=439686&postcount=23

Your right they're far to cleaver by half :D
Go on , you know you want to, get one or two..... you won't regret it ;) .
I would be lost with out mine.

Cheers, Pete.

K

kedwould

mike abbots book, green woodwork has the measurments etc. to make a bow saw and other various projects, excellent reading!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE