Nylund carver review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Nylund Carver

Well there are a lot a knives that have impressed me over the years. But opening this box has given me another one!

When I opened my package a narrow knife came out. Not small, narrow. I expected a carving knife, so I was pleasantly surprised. After a first inspection the knife looked flawless. There were no gaps at the bolster, no unfinished spots or anything that even remotely looks like a flaw.
The blade is evenly ground and extremely sharp. I cut myself 5 minutes after opening the box. I think the knife was ground on a large stone. Polishing was done on a large felt wheel, which brought it to a level of sharpness I have never ever encountered. Not even on my falkniven U2!!!. Don’t get me wrong. The U2 is extremely sharp, but the edge isn’t refined or polished. It lost it edge pretty quickly and I had to reprofile it. Jakob or Simon stamped their name in the side of the blade and it looks just great!

I had a piece of willow which was perfect for testing my new knife. It’s seasoned and about the same hardness as birch. It whittled through it effortlessly.
Although it cuts like mad, it’s not designed for detail carving imo. The tip isn’t narrow enough to cut in tight corners. My frost sloyd knife is better designed for this. But for everything else… THIS KNIFE ROCKS!!!

The sheath is… Well it’s different than what I was expecting. I was expecting a Scandinavian or Finnish style of sheath. This one looks more like a standard bushcraft sheath with a double dangler.
Now I won’t be wearing this knife on my belt, so I’m not complaining about it. It works for the knife, and that is what it was designed for.

So my conclusion:

One of the best knives I’ve got. These guys were great when they used blades made by other makers, but now they are amazing!

Jakob, Simon, you are truly the best Finnish knife makers I’ve encountered. And that includes Jukka Hankala…

Best regards,

Michiel

PS: Pics to follow

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Teaser pics:

Nylund&

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE