NW sea fishing location help

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I’m looking for recommendations for a very easily accessible location to sea fish from a dock or pier in the NW, from say just into north Wales up to the lakes.

My sister wants to have a go but she’s not well and really could only do a 100 yrds or so, ideally I need to park and walk her to the end of the dock and sit her down. The intention is to fling out some mackerel feathers and a couple of handlines, a couple of touristy crab lines and a small lobster pot – wait for a couple of hours, have some sandwiches and a flask of something, then come back with no fish but brotherly duties fulfilled.

Anyone know of a suitable picturesque location?

Thanks for reading

Andy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I remember fishing off New Brighton years back and catching whiting, codling etc.

The other place is Thurstaston beech when the tide is right, only problem is its a bit of a walk down a steep hill.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Cheers Dwardo,

New Brighton's doable, anyone got any current info on it - isn't there a Red Squirel place around there somewhere? Thurstaston's a no go - I used to sit on the hills on the other side of the estuary to eat my lunch - there's a lot of sand :)

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
AJB the red squirrel place is at Formby point there is an area of pine wood and access to the beech with parking not far from the beach. The site is run by the National Trust, also at low tide there are megalithic footprints to be found in the areas of mud to the right of the entrance on to the beach from the car park.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Have a look around Morecambe, you can get very close to the beach and park up, also Heysham dock is good as is Arnside Pier and the road into Arnside runs along the river which is tidal

Avery good tackle shop in Morecambe called Gerry's

Used to have a caravan up there , watch the tides in Morecambe bay they are deadly and loads of mud flats and quick sand so be careful

Have also fished along the Cumbrian coast especialy around Whitehaven but may be too far to go

Good luck

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Another shout for Arnside. There is a pier to fish from too if access is a problem. Bit of mackerel bounced along the bottom does the trick for me there. Ragworm or even spoon spinners are good too. Very picturesque as well.
Liverpool docks as mentioned are scenic in their own way but most anglers abandon the river through the warmer months because it's crawling with crabs.

I'd head to Arnside myself. Beautiful area and probably your best chance of catching something.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Cheers Steve,

The only distance that's an issue is that from the car to the fishing point :)

No problem the locations I have said around Morecambe and Arnside you can literaly park withing a few feet of where you fish

Pick a ice day and whatch the tide come in at Arnside , it is worth seeing , then go up to Arnside knott and cook the fish you have caught

Steve

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Brilliant guys, it looks like Arnside is the place, even checked out the tides :)

OK - stupid question, as I know nothing about sea fishing, hey, fishing in general - when, in relation to the high tide is the best time to try?

Many thanks to everyone for your help

Andy

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I find an hour before and an hour after high water is ok but this can very from place to place but its a go starting point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE