Nutritional Breakdown of the PLCE Side Pocket Menu - Paul Kirtley

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Following on the very interesting video about packing a weeks worth of food in a PLCE side pouch by Paul Kirtley he's written an interesting article about the nutritional value of it's contents.

It's an excellent follow up to his video and well worth reading

Details here

The original video can be found here

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Great article, very useful baseline information, as usual from PK.

He's certainly done his homework, I doubt many could find *valid* fault with the general thrust of what he's writing (trust me, I get paid handsomely to pick holes in peoples expedition planning!)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
"Solid" information backing up a very useful "How To". I am a salt lover and still find the level a bit high but I have the information to alter/ accept this. Fine work Sir.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Having read the article. I have some questions.

- How would people adjust calorie figures for female vs male? I know the standard RDA for calories for men vs women differ by 500. How does exercise such as hiking change this?

- Is the higher salt an issue if sweating a lot, such as when hiking in the middle of summer? I know in an ideal world we want to maintain our temp so we aren't losing 3l of water through our skin along with a small pot of salt, but in summer that is nigh on impossible. How would you alter the salt calculations to take this into account?

- What is the effect, in terms of physical performance of your average bushcrafter, when hiking on above input calorie levels? I know I could afford to lose a few pounds? Other than perhaps feeling hungrier, how would hiking 20 miles a day for 2 weeks on 2500calories a day effect the body's ability to function?

- Given said 20 mile days, would there be a case for slightly higher protein so as to provide the material to repair/build muscle?

My knowledge of what is ultimately sports nutrition is not as great as I would like, and I am genuinely interested in learning more about this area.

Thanks

Julia

Haggis

Nomad
I always enjoy watching Paul's videos, and reading what he has written on the subject of getting by, "out there". I enjoy reading every food list ever recommended by those who spend time studying the subject, BUT, the truth is, I don't eat more than 20% of the foods I find on these lists, and often much less than 20%. Herself says I drive her completely mad by eating the same few foods everyday, year after year, but it's what I do. Oatmeal is good, dried beans are good, if slow to cook, and most kinds of meat are good, given they are boiled, or fried in olive oil, and not too fatty. Other than that, I would as soon be hungry. I will eat other sorts of food, if in the company of others, and they seem to be enjoying it, but if I'm alone, or if I have to cook it, it'll be oatmeal, beans, or something meat. Still, the expert food lists are a great source of information, even if when packing all I take is oatmeal and olive oil for the fish, squirrels, and rabbits I find in my path.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE