Nuisance noise, nhbc, labc, building inspector?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi rather off topic but is there any experts in any of the above here who's brains I could pick regards a problem with noise In a new house,
many thanks

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not an expert or anything but can you give a bit more of a clue what you're after? I managed to get a boiler refund once as it was too noisy, amongst other things or are you expecting the house to mask noise better?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I brought a brand new 3 bed semi 6 months ago and were having noise issues, long story but hear goes when our neighboors moved in we could here every foot step, mainly upstairs every door window etc being closed the washing machine anything being dropped etc, I'm well aware of what to expect in a semi so I called in the builders, two managers went in a house each and spoke on the phone whilst making noises, I could hear the phone call and at one point he said yes I can hear that sounds like stomping and the chap replied I'm just walking lightly across the lounge! Anyway the builders acnolidged there is clearly a issue and got a sound man in, I got talking to the sound man who said this is a waste of time as your problem is impact noise and all I am here to test is airbourne, so I mentioned this to the builder and told him I hope your not gona get your pass for airbourne and brush it under the carpet, " no no we wouldn't do that" low and behould they did.
I'm in the building trade myself so have a fair idea regards the building but I'm trying to work out what could be causing the noise, oh also nearly every other semi on the estate have complained, the dividing wall is 100mm insulated cavity with concrete block and finished with dot and dab, the house is on a hill so ours is sleightly lower than next door, the floor joists go into the dividing wall and seem well fitted with no gaps and iv added acoustic mastic, I read a nhbc article regards incorrect dot and dab making noise worse by creating a drumming affect so I checked mine and it's not good no solid ribbon top and bottom and few dabs, it sound very hollow compared to what I'm use to on site, apparently the only difference between our homes and ones on previous sites with no problems is they used a parge coat and no insulation in the cavity were as our has no parge but insulation, it's with labc rather than nhbc, hope iv remembered everything but I can help more if you need any more info, oh the noise is apparently worse on our side. Thanks
We're still waiting to here back from labc( local authority building control) same as nhbc, but it's getting very stressfull

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Not 100 percent on this but as far as I know the floor joist should not be sat directly on the parti wall seperating the two houses.if the need arose wear it was unavoidable they should be sat in a steel masonry hanger on the inside of the wall.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I hope you find some sort of resolution to this.

I used to live in a flat in an old building which had been converted; there was no noise insulation at all and it nearly drove me nuts.

Not good if you can't enjoy being in your own home, good luck with it.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
That's very nice of you thanks, it's just so frustrating we had a mortgage I place to go up to a 4 bed detached but tried to be sensible with the better half being on maternity pay etc, I was a little apprehensive about a semi but the developers assured us that we won't hear any day to day noise from next door!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE