NT kids den kit cheaper options??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think Broch's suggestion is a good one "stealth teaching", the question is in what order? Tarp. knife, fire, making tea. ???

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sharp points are a problem when he's not had anything sharper than a kids cutlery set! If he's inherited my dexterity then it's a very big problem! :D

The good thing about Opinel knives are how they ship a out already sharp enough to be used. Not every knife is like that but IME Opinel knives have always been very sharp and seem to hold their edge well. A classic for a reason I think. I've heard it said that every true Frenchman has an Opinel in his pocket. I doubt they say that about any British knife make unfortunately considering Sheffield's reputation.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Kids are actually not totally dumb, a shiny sharp point tends activate a certain amount of care! :D I got my first puukko when I was about 4 (i remember that but not how old I was). I think it took some time before the first cut.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paul, three years in a row I worked teaching kids over the Summer. Everything from hands on history to basketry, pottery, shelter building, fire making, etc., etc.,
I had a lot of fun doing it, worked with a lot of my friends doing it too.

We used knives and taught the children we worked with to use knives. Honestly, the best ones we found to use were whittling size knives. Not folders, but little ones, like the Brusletto Balder. It's sold as a hunting knife, but honestly, it's just a tiddler bushcraft knife and very sound. Very easy to use, to sharpen, and an excellent shape. I still have mine and it's a favourite. It's a good knife for a youngster too.
If he's taught awareness of when it's appropriate to have it on his person, when it's appropriate to use it, how to use it, not abuse it not lose it, then it's an investment in his skill set.

The company I bought mine from all those years ago no longer sells knives, but these folks have it for sale.

1604078017291.png

Reactions: TLM

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Those look very helpful knives and would be handy for a person with small hands, if they had no innate fear of sharp things. (as some folk do)

And, -handy for the den maker.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I bought my son an Opinel his first Christmas as a Cub and a Mora Scout Sheath knife as a scout.
The same knives I had at the same ages.
I’m buying another Opinel this year
for my daughter and will probably buy a Scout soon, so I have it safe.
Just need to hope the Scout Group survives for her to start again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robson Valley

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
+1 on the scouts thing, troubling times for that organisation. Our lady will be going up to cubs in December with luck but they're really struggling. Before lockdown they were booming with one year celebrations in the new scout hut, a great big hall with indoor n climbing wall. They were training leaders up to start second groups across the sections as they had big waiting lists for all but cubs. Now they've lost leaders due to issues over vivid risk with their day jobs and other reasons. Plus there's parents dropping their monthly payments to just £1 because they're not doing much? Others have stopped payments? If they're not careful a great group could die very quickly indeed.

Seriously, they had excellent facilities great for disabled too. They had kids with needs joining in. Leaders trained on climbing wall, mountain biking, shooting, archery, etc. I am DBS checked and once I have my interview and provide the references I'll be become a skills assistant. I'll get assessed for leading kayaking based on my experience, apparently there's a fast track if you've been doing it at high level for a long time.

Now the second lot of sections are merged back into one as people stopped paying and dropped out. Leaders pulled out because of COVID n related reasons. Others because they've taken their kid or of scouts because nothing going on so felt they couldn't be involved any more. The wider organisation has shed a lot of paid jobs too.

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
Hi there, first post, so I’ll probably do something wrong. Thanks for this thread, I was looking at a similar set at the Den Kit Co also £40, but just found the Boonies one that Bishop suggested on sale at the Forest School Shop £30 plus shipping.

Boonies Outdoor Same kit different branding £37.45

alternatively doing a pick an mix of equivalents
Ground-sheet, tin mug, tent pegs | Poundland | £3
Camo tarp 6x4 feet | Ebay | £2.95
Canvas haversack ,, £6.45
15m jute rope ,, £5.89

Bush mallet is easy enough to make if you think they need it... that comes to £18.29 so far including postage

Shemagh £3.38
Camo face paint £2.99
Poundland COB headtorch & batteries for a week £2
kids 6x30 binoculars £4-5
Camo netting 3x5 feet £4

Optional xtra:
Cardboard shipping boxes 10"x7"x3" pack of five £7.50 --- for DIY kids ration packs (fill as needed with coke, crisps, chocolate etc)

link below:
https://www.forestschoolshop.co.uk/outdoor-education/boonies-outdoor-den-building-kit.htm
I’ve no connection, just thought folk may like the idea of the bundled kit or just fancy the shortcut. Anyway, one Christmas present sorted... thanks for the tip Bishop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE