now THIS is a day pack !!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
This is what I tend to take just for a day out...

41It6vn6plL._AA300_.jpg

Tough as the proverbial old boots, and very comfortable... Mind you - when did they become £90!!

Feb 27, 2011
Salisbury
https://www.dragonsupplies.co.uk/catalogue/652-Dragon-Patrol-Pack-Tan

I have just bought one of these, colour is good for locality (New Forest) for most times of the year, and the three utility pouches are perfect for water, stove & rations.
The zipped centre pouch will store my basha and stove wind shield and the top pocket will have first aid and sanitry items in.

I have been using a Northern Ireland Patrol sack but felt the DPM was a bit "waltish" when Mrs Strangely Brown and myself were visiting bird reserves and the like.
The mesh side pockets are ideal for basha poles (which I don't carry) but good for small flasks and I daresay a Golock or saw would go in ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
I have one of the ones J4C3 mentions, and whilst it's only had a few day trips, it's been a great pack for the price.

Cheers

Glyn

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I have one. I have the medium size one as well. They're great packs but the Large in the ad has to be used with the frame and I doubt if it comes with it at that price. The medium can be used with or without the frame. They're both excellent and more than roomy enough as well as being virtually bulletproof. It's compatible with the Vietnam era ALICE clips and the older wire equipment hangers.

Probably the best thing about them is related to their age; they were designed in the Vietnam era and remained in service through the late 1980s. Consequently there are literally thousands (possibly tens of thousands) of them on the surplus market and there are dozens of upgrades available for them (newer, wider, softer straps; newer buckles and hardware; etc)

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
SOme of those look awfully heavy for a day pack. My current favourite day pack is the REI Flash 18. Only weighs 300 grams, 18 litres, hydration compatible. Turn inside out to use as a stuff sack in my 60l back pack.
http://www.rei.com/product/778466/rei-flash-18-pack
Easily takes the ten essentials plus food and water for a day trip or summit attempt.
REI is a Co-op, I put my dividend for 2010 towards this pack and only paid USD 5 for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE