Now, that's one BIG bear!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
This isn't recent news, but it was still news to me and I hope it is to you too. It may encourage you to look around if you're ever out in the wilds of Alaska.

Basically, the World's largest Grizzley bear was shot after it had killed at least two humans in the previous 72 hours. It stood 14′ to the top of his head and weighed an amazing 1,600 lb's. The Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission had the bear stuffed, mounted and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild.

These are two pictures which show off the amazing beast. Just check out that paw :eek:

bear2.jpg
bear1.jpg

Here's the story in full,

"These pictures are of a guy who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him.

The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head. The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12′ 6“ high at the shoulder,14′ to the top of his head. It’s the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport (to remind tourist’s of the risks involved when in the wild).

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had died, found a hiker’s 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker . The other body has not been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear’s body) it only wounded the bear and probably angered it.

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear’s own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker. Think about this - if you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear’s belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows."

Mark

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hi Guys,

I think this one is a bit of a hoax. I ran across this about six months ago and dug up some links giving the true story.

I'm off out now but I'll do some more checking when I get back (if nobody else has).

Meanwhile, here is a link to start with:

http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/10447/

Cheers,

Huon

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Here you go....

From the 'Urban Legends and Folklore' site:

World Record Grizzly Bear

Analysis

Comments: Circulating constantly in one form or another since November 2001, this forwarded email tale seems to grow taller by the year. It has been established that at least two of the accompanying snapshots -- the ones showing a hunter posing beside the carcass of an incredibly large Alaskan brown bear -- are authentic. We know where and when they were taken, and by whom. The origin of the third photo purporting to show the remains of the behemoth's "last victim" is unknown. It was appended to the already-circulating email in late 2002 and doesn't appear to have been taken at the same time as the others.

Not quite a world record

In real life, the big grizzly in the first two photographs measured 10' 6" from nose to tail and weighed an estimated 1,000 to 1,200 pounds - unusually large for the vicinity in which it was found, says the USDA Forest Service, but not quite a world record, nor even a record for Alaska. It was killed on October 14, 2001 by U.S. Air Force Airman Theodore Winnen on Hinchinbrook Island, Prince William Sound. The photos were taken by his hunting partner, Staff Sgt. James Urban. Both were stationed at Eielson Air Force Base near Fairbanks at the time.

Though the bear was within 10 yards of the hunters' position and moving towards them when he fired the first shot, Winnen says, it did not charge them, contrary to what the email claims. "I don't know if the wind was in our favor or what," he told the Anchorage Daily News. "We were dressed in camouflage. He might not have seen us." Winnen's weapon was a 338-caliber Winchester Magnum, not a 7mm semi-automatic as alleged. The first bullet pierced the bear's brain but left it standing; five more in the chest brought it down.

No man-eater, say the Forest Service

Was the bear a man-eater, as claimed in the email? No, says the Forest Service, there is no evidence of that. When asked by the Anchorage Daily News to comment on the horrific final image of what appears to be a partially-eaten human victim, Forest Service spokesman Ray Massey admitted he hadn't even looked at it. "I didn't want to see a photo of the body," he said. "I know it's bogus."

and some more links:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-grizzlybear5.htm
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

The second one has a fairly unpleasant photo of some half-devoured human remains near the bottom so beware if you are squeamish.

Cheers,

Huon

Reactions: Roefisher

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Thanks for the details Huon. It's wonderful how idle idiots will blow up a story out of all proportions. Thankfully to me, it's still a magnificent animal and an amazing situation.

What a great loss that beast dying is. As torjusg said, let's hope he done a good bit of "playing around" before snuffing it :(

Mark

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Yup a friend of mine from London Zoo forwarded this to me about a year ago and its a big porkie pie I am afraid. I looked into it and the bear was taken on an intentional bear hunt. I do seem to recall that it did take the hunters by surprise though but was not in any way showing threatening behaviour when it was shot. I saw the gory photo and something definitely had been chewing on the unfortunate victim just not this ole fella :rolleyes:

There is however a cracking one doing the rounds regarding a Polar Bear attack which as I understand it is totally legit (just a few inacuracies regarding location and the shooter) and has some fairly graphic photos to go with it - let's just say it probably hurt a bit more than stubbing your toe :D

Found a link but be warned the photos are pretty graphic especially the 'ankle' one OUCH! Full explanation at the end of the articlePolar Bear Attack

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ye gods and little fishes!

That Inuit was incredibly tough.

How did you come across this one Silverback?

Cheers,

Huon

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Huon - I work for a very large healthcare company employing in excess of 500,000 people worldwide - there's not much escapes me when people get wind of what interests you :D

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Much to beautiful an animal for me to kill unless I really had to do so.And damn that Inuit fellow was one tough bugger!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE