Nothern Lights and UCO candle lantren Question

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Bump this question once again, before I have to bye a whole new lamp
Hi there, I have a Northern light 9 hour burn candle lantern, but I have broken the glass chimney and someone told me the company went bust so can anyone tell me if the UCO glass will fit or where I can find a replacement Northern Lights glass?
Cheers.

Last edited:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I think I still have my old northern lights lantern at home, so I can check, but I don't think they're the same - the Northern Lights chimney is wider by quite a bit. I won't be able to get back to you until Tuesday next week, so maybe if you could post the dimensions of the NL chimney, someone can help you out. You're definitely right that the company went bust some time ago.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cheers guys.
That’s was the next problem ScotsCR before I got it home the glass totally collapsed before I could measure it but a can still get some rough measurements from the lantern.

Cheers Shewie

And catch you up next Tuesday Nohoval Turrets .

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
72mm x 42mm is my standard lantern size, just drying and sorting kit at home just now

118333891847858.jpg

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yes, nice trip. The 11 yr old did not take any electronic stuff as he was so busy. He wants to 'mountain camp' next. I know a good wee sunny spot on the Tarmachan ridge for that. Just used my phone for pics. Lost my diggy camera last week. Organising a trip for two nights for my canoe club on the Islands in May. Luckily the new byelaws revision did not ban island camping, it was in the original plans though.

Proposed ban
http://www.scottishlandandestates.c...-camping-bye-laws&catid=74:central&Itemid=173

New Revised Byelaws
http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/looking-after/loch-lomond-byelaws-2013/menu-id-891.html

Never saw the Wallabies, every other visit I have.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Well if I can’t get a new canoe this year I’ll be swimming across to the islands from Aldochlay
Luckily I have a Reed chillcheater but still Brrrrrr.

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Last year in May, we met a South African guy who walked passed us on the Port Bawn beach at Inchcailloch, as he was swimming all the Islands between Balmaha and Luss. Hew was swimming the gaps between each island, the chain of the Highland Boundary fault.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
5 of the islands are easy enough to swim to but I’m going to have a closer look at I Vow first .
After a trip down to Glen Shira last year I camped on the Loch just South of Tarbet and what a mess Glass,, cans, barbeques, tinfoil, bog role and fires every where really just a ####### mess a real shame.
The first time I was around Loch Lomond was perhaps 10 to 15 years ago on the West Highland Way and it looked great, how times change.
I’m not in favour of the ban but I can certainly understand why. Not that it will bother me mutch I usually just jump into my bivi bag at last light and off again at first light after a quick brew and bowl o porridge.
Now I come to think of it it was in the Doune Bothy that I broke my Northern lights lamp and soon thereafter I discovered the flame thrower effect of Avon skin so soft.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Lacking the glass chimney which disintegrated before I got it home to measure accurately and only measuring a rough approximation from the lamp the glass is around 78x45 so not to far off the UCO lamp but if anyone could measure their Northern lights lamp glass for me that would be great.I think the diameter is going to be the critical factor really but I am hoping as the canals are the same size it will possibly be close enough. I may get away with a slightly shorter glass
One other thing can anyone tell me if the OCU is made in Japan? Perhaps its the same manufacture and only a name company name change.
OCU 72mm x 42mm Its going to be close.

Cheers all.

Last edited:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Sorry 21st century pict, I can't find my old Northern Lights lantern. It seems to have been taken by the gear goblins. I'm keeping an eye out, and I'll let you know if it turns up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE