Not the best picture granted but Giant hogweed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I pass a roundabout near where i live on a regular basis. Every year this catches my eye.
I would stop and get a closer look but its a horrible roundabout where you can get cut up on a daily basis.

One day I will take a walk out that way but its all shops and shopping centers so have no immediate need :eek:

IMAG2711_zpsd1ce9cb4.jpg

So what do you think? Certainly too small for most of the bellies I know off. To give an indication of height the sign infront is about 8ft hight so it much be near 10 ft high. If anyone is local its the motorway round about near Cheshire chokes, Sorry "Cheshire Oaks" retail park.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I am not sure that it is an identifying feature but ALL of the giant hogweed I have ever seen was in damp situations, ditches, boggy field margins and so on.

Can anybody confirm this is a damp loving plant?

Myosotis

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester
Yes this is Giant Hogweed.
Ian, this plant does often grow by riversides etc, but can also be found (as in this case) in wasteland.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
We've got loads of them too. Feels like you're walking through jurassic park when you find a field full of them.
In a few months you can use the thickest stems for arrow quivers. One of the easiest natural quivers!:)

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Although it is not a notifiable weed (I think, some people disagree) I suspect your local council will be pleased to be informed of its location as it is nasty stuff for the uninformed, especially children, to tinker with and many/most councils try to eradicate it on their patch.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Although it is not a notifiable weed (I think, some people disagree) I suspect your local council will be pleased to be informed of its location as it is nasty stuff for the uninformed, especially children, to tinker with and many/most councils try to eradicate it on their patch.

Where its located I think there is very little chance of anyone coming in contact with it especially children. Recently found a large area of hemlock at the edge of a local stream. Informed the local rangers who put up a sign informing and warning people at the same time. Much rather that than eradication of eveything that might harm us.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We've got loads of them too. Feels like you're walking through jurassic park when you find a field full of them.
In a few months you can use the thickest stems for arrow quivers. One of the easiest natural quivers!:)

I like the sound of that :) Will wait till it starts to die back and see if its easy enough to get a good section. Will take the proper precautions, before handling the stuff.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I like the sound of that :) Will wait till it starts to die back and see if its easy enough to get a good section. Will take the proper precautions, before handling the stuff.

Just wait 'till it's dead but not rotten and it won't hurt you anymore :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The councils in the UK spend loads of money trying to eradicate the stuff. Personally I would rather see it grow. Great looking plant and yes a few kids back in the 70's were hurt by it. Now most of the little darlings are too busy inside with their games. Those that are out are usually well educated enough to give it a wide berth. Laburnum and other poisonous ornamentals in gardens cause more harm to kids. I like seeing it and in areas where it grows prolifically it's an amazing sight ( It typically grows to heights of 2–5 m (6 ft 7 in–16 ft 5 in), sometimes reaching 7 m (23 ft). Wikipedia). And is like wandering through an alien landscape. Remember an estate down south where it grew beside Gunnera and was a truly exceptional place.

Leave it in peace and educate the kids.

GB.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Is it just hogweed that's an edible or is giant also? (The unfurled young shoots)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Is it just hogweed that's an edible or is giant also? (The unfurled young shoots)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Don't think it's edible.

Song about hogweeds introduction to UK by Genesis
[video=youtube;ASo7dklOTP0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASo7dklOTP0[/video]

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was on a new project today where we're reclaim an old church yard and came across these

I couldn't get a good picture of the rest of them but behind the fence of the one in the shade is approximately 1.5 acres of giant hogweed :yikes:

Luckily we're not clearing that area but it's going to be fun clearing the few specimens that are in the church yard :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Mesquite,

Despite my earlier post saying leave them alone I know you'll have to take these ones out and do be careful. I once dropped off a two man squad on a job to clear an area and there was Giant Hogweed in there. It was a scorching day, but I told them to strim everything else but to wear full protective gear and use hand hooks to cut down the G.H.

Well I returned a number of hours later to find the guys in agony as they'd strimmed the lot including the G.H. and had taken off their gear and done it in shorts and no shirts. Luckily they'd kept their helmets, visors and hearing protection on. They were in a sorry state and I had to drive them to A&E. Luckily no permanent damage done.

So use hand hooks gently and cover up. If you go slow no sap should be flung about.

Hope all goes well,
GB.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't worry about it GB... I shall be giving the supervisor very specific written instructions on how to deal with them, and get them to sign for them as well :rolleyes:

First one will be don't touch until it's a cloudy damp day :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE