Not sure about which lens to go for, any advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
OK so i hit the big 40 this year
icon_eek.gif

So i am thinking of treating myself to a high end bit of glass to go with my Nikon D300. My thoughts so far are the 17-55 f2.8 DX lens
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-17-55mm-f2-8-g-dx-af-s-if-ed-lens/p1001800

or the 24-70 f2.8
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-24-70mm-f2-8-g-af-s-ed-lens/p1023051

Now i am fully aware that if i shove the 24-70 lens on my D300 i get the usual magnification factor etc etc.

Working on the principle that this 'aint a cheap bit of glass and to future proof myself in case i feel like a full frame sensor body in the future i am wondering if the 24-70 would be a better bet than the 17-55 which cannot be used on a full frame sensor.

What i am really asking is magnification issues aside is there any optical benefit to going for the DX lens that is dedicated to my D300 (amongst others). I can happily live with having a 36-90 lens (roughly) but i don't want to lose any optical performance with the amount of cash i am considering spending ( plus a change in filter system as my current ones will be too small)

Both lenses get excellent reviews (as you would expect) but i'm stuck on the optical quality issue.

Does anyone use the 24-70 f2.8 lens on a DX sized body and if so can you tell me what you think about it please

Many thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Have you already got the 50mm F1.4 or F1.8 lens?
I rarely put the short zoom lens on my Nikon nowadays as the clarity of
the prime lenses is so good that I can blow them up to A3 no problem.The
light gathering is awesome too : the flash rarely gets used either.
I know it doesn't answer your question but you could always spend the extra on a serious tripod.
Cheers , Simon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I already have a serious tripod (a carbon fibre Manfrotto). While i agree that primes are a lot cheaper and provide superb optical performance:

a) i am lazy and prefer a zoom:lmao:
b) i am totally paranoid about dust on the sensor and so change the lenses only when necessary ( i own a short zoom, a sigma 150-500 and borrow the wife macro lens when needed!)

:)

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
It's horses for courses I have never even put the 24-70 on the D300s I use the 17-24 range far more than 55-70 on a crop sensor. As for future proof well there is still a future for both fx and dx. If you get a used 17-55, even if you do decide to go all full frame, the 17-55 won't have lost much, if anything.

N

Nomad

The focal lengths are too different - they suit different kinds of photography/subject. The right focal length lens that you have is far more useful than the full frame body you don't have. What's the point in buying a lens for future proofing if you don't use it until the future arrives?

Home in on your desired focal length or zoom range first, and then narrow down the options.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
ide choose a quality breed that is known for its egg yeild,but if you are considering the birds for egg production and meat incorporated in a sturdy bird i would recommend the black rock breed

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I use the 20-70 2.8 and 70-200 too. I use a D300 & D200 for event photography work.

It's a no brainer really. Don't buy DX glass! With the release of the D800 we are sure to see further releases of full frame in the future and well cared for glass not only retains it's value, but often increases in value over time. This won't be the case for DX glass imo.

N

Nomad

I think it will be a long, long time before full frame sensors are the norm in all DSLR market segments - crop frame will always be cheaper because it uses less silicon and you get more sensors per wafer after yield losses due to flaws. A crop frame DSLR is also capable of very high image quality. I see no particular reason to think that used crop frame lenses are suddenly going to plummet in value.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I was always leaning towards the 24-70 as as Nomad says that fits better to my required range even allowing for the magnification factor. I rarely need wide wide angle stuff and when i do i have a 10-14 lens available to borrow from a friends house anytime!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE