Not so lovely Grub.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
very sad! I swerve foraging any mushroom, just don't know enough, I wont even pick the obvious
ones, because I like mushroom I don't love it, I don't know enough, there not exactly the best form
of vitamins protein ect, and why play Russian roulette with your life for the sake of a free snack.
Even experts have been caught out so why bother. just my 2p,s worth.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Very sad.

Learn the bad ones first, then the good ones, cross reference as many books as practicable, take extra care if you are not in your home country and at the end of the day, if you are not 100% sure, really don't bother, just enjoy the hunt and the process of identification. Even then an individual may have an adverse reaction to "safe" edible

If you make a mistake and are lucky, you may have an unpleasant evening getting acquainted with your toilet bowl from, one way and/or the other. If you make a big mistake, you become a lesson to others..

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That is a truly horrible way to go; multiple organ failure.

We went on an organised fungi foray last season and spotted the only death cap; just loking at it made me shudder.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I use two identification books, like with birds I often find that looking in another book at a different illustration can nail an ID. I also take spore prints to be doubly sure, have had some delicious meals and have thrown out a lot f "I think it's...."
thinking is not good enough, you need to be sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE