Not so Bushy wild camp...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi all,
Not posted for a while so thought I'd share this weekends outing!

Now this isn't strictly a bushcraft outing (bushcraft happens in the woods, for me at least) but more of a 2 day hike to try out my new lightweight 'tent camping' load out.

So we had a lovely day for it; sunny but very cold and windy.

DSC_0585.jpg
[/IMG]

Had a chance to try out my new Snugpak Elitie Proximity Jacket, which is great for wind blocking but struggled to wick moisture on the very steep ascents.

av2.jpg
[/IMG]

Some great views down the valley

DSC_0585.jpg
[/IMG]

Looking back from the top of Jacobs Ladder, glad I was only carrying 15kg oh so steep!

DSC_0599.jpg
[/IMG]

Some great views from the summit, very Martian landscape I was glad I brought my compass the next morning in the mist.

DSC_0602.jpg
[/IMG]

Found a nice spot to set up camp, out of the wind and away from the paths but still around at around 550m.

zephywc1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Got my Wild Country Zephyros 2 set-up, the first chance to use it 'in anger' and I was very impressed when the wind and rain rolled in around 11pm. Great little tent! My two friends were using a Vango Banshee 200 and the Vango Apex 200, both of which also performed great in the challenging conditions.

zephywc2-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Treated to a fantastic sunset over the reservoir

DSC_0614.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC_0623.jpg
[/IMG]

'Look What we Found' and rice for dinner, along with a wee dram of The Dalwhinnie to wash it down.

DSC_0625.jpg
[/IMG]

Had a visit from mountain rescue on a training excercise who thought we must be their 'casualty' after their dog sniffed us out, gave us a bit of a shock but they said good luck and wished us well :D.
Retreated to bed and the warmth of my sleeping bag early as the temperature must have been -2 without the windchill.

Frost forming on the tent

DSC_0626.jpg
[/IMG]

View from the tent in the morning, the edge of the rock was about the limit of visibility in the fog!

DSC_0628.jpg
[/IMG]

Woke up a couple of times in the night to the sound of torrential rain and gale force winds. Still not a drop in my tent. When morning came it was thick fog and driving rain so no more pictures for fear of my camera. Had a couple of hairy moments getting down off the summit but a couple of compass bearings later we were heading back down the way we came and across the valley for a wet walk back to the car.

All in a great weekend that really showed me that giving up smoking and trying to adopt a more lightweight approach are both good ideas :D.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Great pics mate, I guessed whereabouts you were from the first pic;) Truly is a Lunar landscape up on Kinder, Did you see the "Woolpacks"?

Thanks for sharing !

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers for all the replies guys, think my legs have just about recovered now!

Im a bit in love with the Peak District now I think!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE