Not my idea but i have to prove a point ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which is the best strop

• The Starkie Sharp in all its glory.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well i couldn't add a poll on the other one!

Guys, i'm not that serious about this strop, just a bit of fun. I do think it's the best piece of sharpening kit i have. And the leather is the perfect size, i don't need anymore as i have figured how to use it and get results.

I have come across as a bit of an obsessive, im not i promise!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I don't believe you

you should be locked up and put in a straight jacket, when your released from it after a few weeks without your starkie you could then try the straps of the jacket for stropping.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Kitaholics anonymous

"My name is Jake, i don't think i have a problem but was forced to come here by the members of BCUK, they believe i have a problem, but i don't.......i promise.......i think......"

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I don't think there would be much doubt about what Jake would bring with him on a desert island. :rolmao: :rolmao: Jakes survival tool no. 1: a leather strop to strop knives. :wink: :nana:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Stew said:
Why not? Have you tried a comparison of polished v non-polished? Might be worth looking into.
Yeah, but from the point of view of how my knives look, it doesn't matter. Can imagine my leuku being much more pretty as it is now, and the Grandy and SAK is already polished. ;)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
to be honest the "off cut" wasnt particularly a rip off.. i would not know which was the ideal leather to use with the paste i went to buy another bit.. i ware trousers that fit.. i needed the paste so it was no extra postange.. and it would have cost me money go and get a bit from somewhere else as there isnt anywhere localy that i can get it.. so im with you 100% Jake.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
tomtom said:
to be honest the "off cut" wasnt particularly a rip off.. i would not know which was the ideal leather to use with the paste i went to buy another bit.. i ware trousers that fit.. i needed the paste so it was no extra postange.. and it would have cost me money go and get a bit from somewhere else as there isnt anywhere localy that i can get it.. so im with you 100% Jake.
I guess I agree too - for the price (and I was ordering something else from Axminster anyway) I'd have spent more time and cash trying to find suitable scraps or leather for the job.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:eek:): im feeling a bit better now. Thanks guys!

:rolmao: :biggthump

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
TheViking said:
Yeah, but from the point of view of how my knives look, it doesn't matter. Can imagine my leuku being much more pretty as it is now, and the Grandy and SAK is already polished. ;)

Totally agree, doesn't matter what it looks like, performance is the important thing. And many people have found that a polished edge performs better for some tasks, particularly woodworking!!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thanks Boaty I had missed Andy's reply.

As Boaty says, a polished edge is there for increased performance not to be pretty (although some prefer the look).

I think it may help rust prevention too? Not sure on that one but if you oil your blades anyway there shouldn't be a problem.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Stew said:
I think it may help rust prevention too? Not sure on that one but if you oil your blades anyway there shouldn't be a problem.

I think that it reduces the surface area that can be attacked, as well as eliminating pockets where moisture can hide - forge-finished blades are said to be prone to rust cos of the convoluted surface but, as Stew says, basic maintenance keeps rust at bay!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE