Not majorly important

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mat30

Oct 15, 2010
Orpington, Kent
OK so couldn't see a thread, just wanted to tell someone that i have had a successful time of lighting fire without using a match!!

Finally got hold of some King Alfred Cakes (crampballs) and got a fire going from them, this is my first time at doing it. As well as using charcloth and birchbark,on seperate occasions!

In the grand scheme of things not that important but very satisfying :campfire:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Firelighting is a good skill to have and to practice because the situation can quickly arise where needing a fire is majorly important. Nice going. What next? Have you tried amadou?

Z

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
dont play it down mate, firelighting is a brilliant skill to have, well done on your first fire without matches.

My project for this year is to make a fire drill set and get flame from it.

T1

Mat30

Oct 15, 2010
Orpington, Kent
Thanks for all the kind support, there really was a sense of achievement that i haven't experienced for a very very long time :)

Haven't tried amadou as i am still a complete novice at trying to locate the different fungi. My next aim at some point is too try and locate the relevant woods to make a bow and drill set.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Thanks for all the kind support, there really was a sense of achievement that i haven't experienced for a very very long time :)

Haven't tried amadou as i am still a complete novice at trying to locate the different fungi. My next aim at some point is too try and locate the relevant woods to make a bow and drill set.

Where do you find teh crampballs -looked for ages but I cannot seem to find any:eek:

Mat30

Oct 15, 2010
Orpington, Kent
I work for a small centre that has a 300 acre nature reserve attached to us so one of the people i work with was nice enough to collect them for me, but i need to go out with him to actually learn all about the trees and all of the related stuff that goes with it. As i said i am a complete novice but i am certainly learning lots.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Well done that man!

I've been scavenging a few bits and pieces together over the last few days to put together a bow drill... I'm determined to make fire with it before summer!

The look on my son's face when he got a fire lighted using a firesteel (with some vaseline soaked cotton wool) was priceless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE