Not 100% certain

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Found this in my local wood this morning.

I believe it is a young Dryads Saddle/Seat, they do grow thereabouts , in increasing numbers.and its usually the fully formed ones that catch my eye.

This one is about 8 inches in the beam and the same in length overall, smells great, very slightly sticky, it has a flattened top, soft stem, it dosnt bleed or change colour when cut.
Dryad.jpg

and if the photo dosnt appear, then I,ve fluffed the procedure, but its in my gallery pics......so, any experts out there this morning?

Ceeg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wotcher Hammy.

I,m being more dense than usual, this mornin, cos I dont understand more than half the words in that link :confused: .

Maybe better to give half of it to my daft mate and see what happens? (joke)

Ceeg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
need more photos from the side to show stem and gils/pores and a cut through to show section would be good if there is a stem a cut through of that too dryads saddle humm i cnat tell from that photo show us some more and well see:)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Yep still looks like a parasol fungus :)

You can eat the cap cooked, not at all bad as I remember. :p

Though naturally you decide to eat it or not....legal waiver etc.etc.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
More, Marts.
Gills are pinky flesh toned, smell is not strong and aromatic it just smelt like fresh mushroom, flesh didnt discolour at all, on cutting....thats about all I could pick out, from all the ten$ words in that description. This veil thing, is something I never saw on the full formed Dryads, and thats why I think its just a young un....and the size of this thing!

Ceeg

Ceeg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The only true way of identifying this species is by microscopic analysis of the spores.

It is a member of the Lacrymaria group, of which there are over 100 species. It looks very like L.lacrymabunda...but as I say, without close analysis, I wouldn't place any money.

It is poisonous (though not deadly)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
stovie said:
The only true way of identifying this species is by microscopic analysis of the spores.

It is a member of the Lacrymaria group, of which there are over 100 species. It looks very like L.lacrymabunda...but as I say, without close analysis, I wouldn't place any money.

It is poisonous (though not deadly)

Your suggestion :confused: Weeping widow has white gills that mature to darkish brown releasing dark spores...only looks vaguely similar :( :)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Its been said before, but theres a few lessons to be learned here, aint there?

I,m of the opinion that some of the field illustrations just aint good enough proof of ID., for any purposes, never mind idle ideas of eating .

Being as how I,ve no intention of getting a microscope, this mornings sample is being consigned to the bin.

Thanks for the help.

Ceeg

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Seagull said:
Its been said before, but theres a few lessons to be learned here, aint there?

I,m of the opinion that some of the field illustrations just aint good enough proof of ID., for any purposes, never mind idle ideas of eating .

Being as how I,ve no intention of getting a microscope, this mornings sample is being consigned to the bin.

Thanks for the help.

Ceeg

The poor fungus was Macrolepiota Procera – Parasol fungus. Not L. anything

I think the lessons to be learnt here are don’t pick it if you’re not sure and are just going to end up wasting it! And don’t post confusing posts if you’re not sure either. :bluThinki :eek: :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE