Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

Tekeeler

A few of my work buddies are planning a fishing trip in Norway, near Bergen, in early September. I'm half considering taking the opportunity of staying an extra few days and doing a bit of bushwork. Obviously before I do this I will be doing a lot of research and reading.

Can anyone give me any information on the climate, laws etc that may be useful in this area at this time of year.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris
:chill:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Have a word with Arctic Hobo, he's "Norway mad" and will be only too keen and pleased to help you out with info :wave:

You could have a read through the "Summer 2006 Expedition" thread too for useful info but it's a big thread with lots of pages to read...not all relevant to what you have in mind.

there's also a thread on this sort of thing in sweden and a few tips on norway in there too....

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=4377

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=4817&highlight=sweden

T

Tekeeler

Well basically im not to sure of what the laws are on camping, fires etc Can you just find a good area and put out roots for a day or two?

Also I have heard that the climate there in Sptember is similar to the UK. Just a bit of background info really.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
My friend, I have a big present for you... in the form of Norwegian camping laws. It's legal to camp anywhere in the entire country, as long as it is not less than 150m from a building (without permission - Norwegians are the friendliest people I have met, they will almost invariably grant if you ask - but then you'll not need to). Similarly, it's legal to walk anywhere in the country. Literally anywhere, unless it's Royal land or Military land (mostly just the area of a barracks, not anything big like an equivalent to Dartmoor).
This to me is fantastic, one of the best laws I have known - one I make use of every time I am there. As I said in another thread, why pay for a hotel or hostel when you can wild camp anywhere you like?
Fires are permitted in National Parks only between September/October to May. Outside of them I am afraid I do not know the law. Locals will be happy to fill you in on local regs - it's always worthwhile asking.
As regards climate, it is relatively similar to the UK's in September, but bear in mind it's a sight further north than you in Kent! It can vary, I have experienced between 25 and 0 C, but packing for a UK autumn you can't go wrong. The big downside is that you're going to Bergen (absolutely lovely city, just try to avoid the places that sell viking gifts as they're stuffed with British and American tourists) - not in terms of the city itself or the area, but that it's the rainiest place in Europe. I can tell you that's very true!
Shout if you want more :biggthump
Cheers,
Chris

T

Tekeeler

Thanks very much. Fantastic feedback.

Im hoping that Bergen will just be a stop off. Unfortunately my work Buddies are lorry drivers on the larger side of average in the main and they love their home comforts. However im pretty sure I can persuade a couple of people to avoid the tourist route.

Once again thanks for the info Chris.
:biggthump

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE