Norway Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jmatthews

Jul 5, 2007
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Hey all
I'm planning a bushcraft trip to Norway, but don't know where to go! I have a friend that will be working near Evje, so if I were a few days walk away from there that would be good.
Any ideas where would be good or where I can get a guidebook?

I did find out that the Norwegians take their holidays in the wilderness July/August so if you go in September you have the place to yourself. Although I'm so keen I'll just head out there as soon as it gets warm!

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Hi darkdrummer! First of all let me welcome you to the forum. :)

Let me ask you, what are your experiences with bushcraft and bushcrafting trips? You wouldnt want to set off in a different country without good knowladge as all manner of things could go wrong. How long are you hoping to be in norway for? Are there any sights or places of interest for you like the telemark site? or do you just want to get into the wilds away from civilisation? If you work out what you want from your trip then it will be easier for people to make suggestions. :)

Twodogs should be here soon he did norway last year and is planning it this year too, He will give you some good advice.

jmatthews

Jul 5, 2007
thanks davey
Ok so I've read all the books and seen all the films, but... I'm pretty inexperienced with bushcraft, my skills are really as far as reliably being able to make a fire with just birch bark and a striker. There is a lot that I have read but never tried. So I won't able able to rely on my skills and will have to take all food and hammock etc with me. I've thought about worst case scenario, as in if it rained heavily and I couldn't find any food for the whole time I was there, then would I still want to be there? And the answer it yes! This trip is to hone and try out new skills- I'll be taking a handful of reference books with me to slowly learn about the surrounding resources and slowly use less and less of my own food and gear :)

So basically, I would like to get as far away from the world and civilisation as I can ;), and be in the place with the most abundance of resources, animals and plants to eat.
Any tips or hints would be great. Also, what are the mozzys and midges etc like out there, any?

Cheers, James

Last edited:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
The Mozzies are a complete Barstools! If you are prone to being eaten that is.

Phenetically they are called 'murg' and given that the landscape is significantly damper and less drained than ours they should be considdered present everywhere. No i lie i only found a couple when up at Trumpsa in 1 meter of snow, but they were still there (inside)!

I would not underestimate how easy it is to get to desolated areas you can be 5 k from a decent population mass and not see anyone for a few days easily. Given that it might be worth not planning to treck through the wilderness too much - to start with.

There is an organisation DV or NT cant remember which owned cabins and rent them very cheaply, some are on walking routes and you could go from one to another along a known 'trail' (ie not completely dense arboreal forest) and still be unlikely to see anyone especially if you go after easter in late spring. I'll see if there is an english link..

The Mozzies are a complete Barstools! If you are prone to being eaten that is.

Phenetically they are called 'murg' and given that the landscape is significantly damper and less drained than ours they should be considdered present everywhere. No i lie i only found a couple when up at Trumpsa in 1 meter of snow, but they were still there (inside)!

I would not underestimate how easy it is to get to desolated areas you can be 5 k from a decent population mass and not see anyone for a few days easily. Given that it might be worth not planning to treck through the wilderness too much - to start with.

There is an organisation DV or NT cant remember which owned cabins and rent them very cheaply, some are on walking routes and you could go from one to another along a known 'trail' (ie not completely dense arboreal forest) and still be unlikely to see anyone especially if you go after easter in late spring. I'll see if there is an english link..

Here you go...

http://www.turistforeningen.no/english/

You will surely die!
Im sure you won't die, Bushcraft rule no1: Be prepeared! (well your starting off fine already by prepearing ideas so early on! Good on you!)

Rule no2: PMA .. Positive Mental Attitude! (heard once that 80% of surviving, is a positive Mental attitude, (I'm sure he was Scandinavian!) even when things get tricky, positive positive positve!!) Most negative people won't be able to think there way out of a cardboard box! The'll just moan how dark it is and how cramped they are! Not how they can improve the situation!

Very jelious indeed! Always wanted to Bush in that direction! Hope you'll keep us posted on how it goes! I'll keep following your threads!

P.s I'll post some advice on hammocks for you in the week when I get a spare moment! Meantime Q's? How long is your trip? what hammock have you got?

jmatthews

Jul 5, 2007
Nice one guys, cheers.
In my head I've got planned to buy the DD Hammock and tarp, have been looking and reading about hammocks and DD seem pretty good all round. As well as this I read that taking another, larger tarp, for the main area makes living much more comfortable and sounds well worth the extra money.

About the length of the trip... basically until I run out of food or am satisfied that I've had enough fun! Even then, I can meet up with my friend who will be working out there and have a break and recharge for a couple of days, whilst sleeping on his floor. As well as buy some more rice :D So maybe a few weeks, who knows ;)

Being positive sounds good to me rob! I can laugh most things off Whether I'm wet, cold or scared it's just about being out there!

Would it be worth taking a mozzi head net for all those "complete barstools"?! Also how strict is the fire ban (15 April - 15 September), providing people are sensible do they mind?

Last edited:
The New 2010 DD Travel Hammock / Bivi is what I got for X-mas!! Lovely piece of kit, along with there 3x3m tarp!

Bonuses:
As you've probably read, the DD Travel also converts lovely into a ground dwelling unit because of the double waterproof base layers! (Unlike the Frontline! which is breathable instead!)

The Fly is zipped in, rather than hanging, and the weave is supposed to be the finest on the market, so you'll have no problems with any Barstool mozzy's!

+ FREE Hammock Sleeve
+ FREE T-shirt on orders over £50
+ FREE Whistle/Compass/Thermometer

Plus its made in the U.K. (always a good thing!)

Here's one made into a chair too! DD Hammock Chair

Minuses:
After testing it out in mid Jan (when we had that very cold/wet spell!) there are a few alterations im going to give it.

Firstly the webbing, (as on all hammcoks, not just DD's!!) a different system is required! As it comes the webbing is one continuous cord. This means rain runs down the tree's, soaks into the webbing like a sponge, and eventually onto the end of your hammock! Im solving this problem by incorporating a carabiner 6inchs from the hammock. This creates a water drip/block, allowing the rain to only soak the webbing attached to the tree, and preventing going beyond the carabiner. If you have-not seen SilverFox on YouTube, here's the system! DD Hammock Webbing Modification.. Plus once made, its supposed to be easier to adjust the tension. With a conventional system of tying around a tree, I found I had to adjust the webbing 3 times, undoing all the Knots around the tree, and re-tying them, just to get it right!

Secondly, if your planning to put a thermarest between the base layers (for extra warmth/comfort), it will slip in the night and end up at your side! I have thought of velco to hold it onto the base layer, but a trusted friend told me to put it inside your sleeping bag instead!

That's about it for my advice on hammocks, here's my blog of my last set-up!

What I like compaired to ground dwelling, is how neat and tidy everything is kept! I find when im under a tarp on the ground, things end up being pulled out and put everywhere.. because you have the floor space! In a hammock, it disciplines you to only get out what you need! Then put it straight back in the bag where it belongs! I created a simple A-Frame to store my bag, If it rains, just pull it in further under the tarp! Its a 3x3 tarp in a diamond!

jontok

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2009
Norway
Hey darkdrummer!
I live quite close to Evje (down between Kristiansand and Lillesand), so if you're coming over this way, just drop in for some dinner and maybe a fishing trip :)

Would it be worth taking a mozzi head net for all those "complete barstools"?! Also how strict is the fire ban (15 April - 15 September), providing people are sensible do they mind?

You should bring something with a finer mesh than a mozzy net, because what is really anoying are the midges and they get right inside the mozzy nets. there has also been more ticks around latley. Although, because of the low temperatures this winter, there may not be that much of a problem this summer.

As for the fire ban it really depends on the weather. If it's been raining for a week straight it shouldn't be a problem, but if it's dry there is a good chance you'll set fire to half the forrest.

There are pre-made campfire sites here and there where there shouldn't be a problem to light small fires when it's moderatley dry (these are marked on maps of the area), but ask the local fire-department for permission if it isn't raining.

I think the best/safest thing would be to bring a small gas/liquid-fuel stove.

Or you can stop by my place and we can fire up the BBQ :)

Anyway... Hope you'll have great trip!

-jontok

Last edited:

jmatthews

Jul 5, 2007
I'm thinking about going out there about the 10th May (all depends on whether I'm ready) and then returning at the end of the month on the 31st May, thats 3 weeks.

The cheapest flights are to Oslo, but I need to be in Evje, so... I'll walk there! It will take about a week each way, but I'm sure I can hitch hike bits of it.

A couple more of questions!:
Do you know what topo maps they use in Norway, or which are the best. I think we're pretty lucky here having the national mapping OS guys. Don't know how it works over there. Any idea if there fairly accurate like our OS maps?
What are the day/night temperatures and wind like out there in May. I've looked at average temperatures on the internet but can't help but doubt them!

Also, anyone want to come! ;) I am taking a radio so I have someone other than myself to talk to- even though I'm a nice guy and I don't mind my own company, it's nice to have someone/something else! I'm happy to go on my own but, Anyone is welcome!

Cheers,
James

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The topo maps used in Norway is mostly the N50 (M711 in the good old days) series which covers the entire country.
Scale is 1:50000 and they are accurate enough. Made by Statens kartverk (our OS guys).
But chech locally, maybe they have their own topo maps of the municipality.

I don`t know about the temperature, but I`m sure it beats ours. We still wait for spring:).

Tor

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
James - I would think the cheapest flights will be to oslo TORP, which in that loving economy flight way is bloming miles from oslo (Gardimond) Certainly if you go from S-stead!
However the little torp airport is well connected with free shuttle to the train station (1 platform)- just be aware if you get the late flight which they may have stopped running now, it gets in later than a lot of the ongoing-transport.
On the plus side if you keep an eye out and dont fly on a friday or sunday you tend to get the flights for next to nothing, (my next trip was less that £30 and most of that was booking fee) which is june just after you return unfortunately.

Not sure if it was mentioned but there are lots of resources for cabins etc - the majority of which are left either open or with a key left someplace obviouse so if you did find yourself in serious difficulty its acceptable to use them. I believe if someone is in trouble and breaks into a cabin to seek shelter they are not liable for the repairs, but this is realy in life threatening circumstances - which you should avoid in late spring!

Have a good trip, dont know if youve been over before, Norwegians are socialy a bit different to brits but once u speak or ask them something are generally very warm and helpfull if a little straight to the point and not into using the social nicities which in the UK are still broadly evident.

Might be worth knowing (phonetically written);

Un-shyL - excuse me or parden me
Kahn du snakker Engelsk - U can guesse that one (most of them do very well).
tahk - thanks
HVashagoo - there you go, or here you are
HoDa - see you/ familiar goodbye.

Keep us posted!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE