Norway 2013 - the +1 story...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Like the idea of a snow-bench, Wayland - didn't think of that! (And I packed one of those gardening kneeler pads which would have been ideal on the bench). Trouble is, not really moveable, and not that practical inside a tipi if the stove works! On reflection, I'd been thinking that I should have made two small tripods, then used two small poles tied together (maybe leaving a foot or so between them with two sets of cord) with paracord and placed on the outer legs of the two tripods. That would also have worked as a portable toilet seat:)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Andy, has anyone ever shown you how to peg down with "deadmen"?

Rather than using pegs, just put a short stick through the loop in the guy and then bury it in the snow.

Much stronger than using pegs. In fact you'll probably need to dig the stick back up when you're finished.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yes, seen and used that technique. Works a bit better by having an extended loop to get the peg/stick deeper, and the strength really only comes once the repacked snow around and above it freezes hard. To be honest, I probably could have done a much better job of pitching the tent - or at least adjusting it afterwards. I really should have gone out and cut down some long branches and re-peg out the tipi, or pegged it out initially using deadmen but with the pole deliberately shortened, and tightened up after the re-freezing, but seeing as I was well sheltered from any wind by the surrounding trees and still had plently of space inside the 8-man tipi as it was, didn't really see the need or energy expenditure justification for it (ie I was too lazy..)! Will do a better job next time......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE