Northern Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountain_necro_goat

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2008
Co. Armagh N.Ireland
I to spend my time in the mournes, at present I have 3 count them 3 failed attempts at completing the mourne wall in one day. Anything that could go wrong has. A few weeks ago my mate was almost blown off the summit of Binnian. I regularly head up to donard wood for some over nighters. If you need some company on the hills I'm sure something could be arranged.

Goat.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I'm eager for walking and camping in the Mournes since the guys I used to go with are afraid of spiders and the wet now ;)

Drop me a PM if anyone's interested.

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
Although officially not allowed as it's mostly private land, I've never had anyone chase me off it.

Best place to start depends on where you want to stay. Belfast Castle is a very good access point for the "front of the hill" with access to all parts of the forest. The "back of the hill" is more easily accessed from various carparks but is very open with no treeline whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I'm going to have a pop at Cave Hill the next time we get any semi decent weather. I've been walking around Black Mountain quite a bit recently and fancy a change of scenery. Bit wary though - it looks bloody steep..

mountain_necro_goat

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2008
Co. Armagh N.Ireland
So it looks like heading up via belfast castle is the way to go. I have just been on google maps and the area looks like an untapped resource. Don't worry jonnno they all look steep till your at the top. Good stuff 'bout time we got something together............. please keep us up to date on possible adventures.

goat.

There's a lot of guys use cavehill, I am one of the many, it is very steep with very little flat ground for camping or shelter building, beware of overnighters unless you fancy a run in with the numerous local chavs who use it as a drinking den and gathering point for other antisocial behaviour, I have come too close too many times to being in a very dangerous predicament with intoxicated teenagers in large groups..for daily walks it's great but you will compete with ramblers ,mountain bikers and the like, and remember you're on the edge of north Belfast, so don't expect an easy time of it if you want to go ahead, good luck and if you ever decide to go up the hill I'll be glad to accompany you.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Maybe we should organise a wander up some weekend for a look. Would be good to meet up with some of the NI guys from the forum.

mountain_necro_goat

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2008
Co. Armagh N.Ireland
not a bad idea. Redneck I had no idea it was that bad but I think a fact finding mission is in order. As much as I love the the mournes I need pastures new and hailing for Portadown I know all about chavs.

Cheers
goat.

tweeders

May 7, 2009
Co Antrim
hi guys,
redneck is quite right the cavehill is full of chavs, i couldn't recommend staying up there, unless uoy were in a group.
it's not a bad wander and you can easily climb up the north side of 'napoleons nose', i've done it loads of times with a mountain bike on my back.
if you're looking for a change and some woodland, i'm lucky enough to live 3 minutes drive from a lovely forest that's mostly free from chavs.
it's at woodburn. between ballyclare and carrickfergus. about 15 mins outside belfast
look it up on google maps. it's the one with 3 dams in a row.
anyone for a wee overnighter?

mountain_necro_goat

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2008
Co. Armagh N.Ireland
Hi Tweeder and welcome... this thread has finally come to life looks like a lot if interest!!!
Looks like a bit of a get together is on the cards. I'm sure we can find a bit of common ground to get a meeting sorted. Any Ideas?

tweeders

May 7, 2009
Co Antrim
hi mountain_necro_goat and thanks for the welcome.
as i say, woodburn is quite nice, plenty of places well out of the way to set up a nice wee camp.
i know all the farmers on the adjoining land, plenty of bunnies for the pot, if you're up for that sort of thing. it certainly is mine.

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
I grew up on the living beside the Cavehill and know it very very well. Yes, there are chavs there but mostly seem to stay near the carparks and public areas. There are also areas that are pretty solitary.

Wandered around Woodburn a coupla times but was advised not to leave my car there overnight. Is this true?

Another excellent little spot is between Ballyclare and Larne - Ballyboley Forest. Haven't done an overnighter there yet, but it looks good to try.

Count me in on anything you may want to try out lads.

Alan.

madfaxman

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 27, 2007
Belfast
www.vocalireland.com
Anyone thought about Carins Wood in Craigantlet?

The rangers there are very knowledgeable and are bushcraft freindly.

Loads of woods to roam around in.

People tend to gather at the car park at night thou it isnt an issue as they are the back seat cuddle bunch.

Also try Redburn forest park on the other side of belfast (directly across the Lough from the cave hill)

Park at the nursing home is recommened, chavs do meet on the lower slopes to get drunk but not normally an issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE