North Wood 28-30 June 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I will be bringing my Bow drill set with me if anyone wants to have a go I will help you through it I will also bring a load of tinders. Will also have a few stoves to play with :)

Sent from my Baobab Tree.

Yes please - though I'm weak as a kitten, would like to see if there is a way for me to do it. I've got one of Fish's bearings to practice with too :)

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
no problem Elen will add you to the list to it. any thing you need to use to take an advantage i have a bearing block similar to the fish one's MartinK9 gave me the idea 3 years ago.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I wonder if us weaker folk could use a group drill better- 2 or more with a longer rope that we could use more of our bodies rather than grasp and upper arm strength like you fit blokes :)

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
never done a team bow drill could give it a go if we have a long enough string and big enough bow but you have to try it solo first Sally :)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
what about the flint and steel Karl? might be a little easier for those with limited grip/strength. maybe if Erics up for it i could bring in a huge piece of decent flint to flake?

Last edited:

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
good idea Steve. i will bring all my fire lighting methods for those interested this include bow drill, flint and steel, 9V wire wool, fero rod, frenzal lens if sun shines :p. and loads of man made and natural tinder.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
For the less fit, friction fire lighting can be achieved easily with a short length of dowel and a 14.5v Black and decker drill. (I shall get my coat).
Seriously though, I'll have a couple of strikers in my kit, some charcloth and some shedded hemp fibre to play with.
Oh, and I shall be making the most of my "permission to play" time and coming down on Thursday.

Elen Sentier

I'm fine with firesteel and usually with flint too. Lighters are a bit of a bummer for my twisted hands! Last time I just could not move the bow with my titanium right shoulder, and it hurt like hell! I hope the bearing will make a difference with this. Slight worry about a group bow as t'other person could rip my shoulder if they got excited !!!

sadsplace

Jun 7, 2013
Staffordshire
Hi all,
I would love to come to the meet, but I have sooo much on that weekend. I might be able to make it late Saturday afternoon but will have to go Sunday morning.
We are due to be in Shugborough on the Sunday (Food festival:)), so the missus would have to meet me with the dog Sunday morning.

This would be my first BCUK meet so not really sure what to expect!! What normally happens at these meets?

Would it be ok to do for just an overnighter? I've got all my kit prepared anyway so no problem there.
Cheers
Simon

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Lots of folk do an overnight flyer, lovey :) It's your local meet, isn't it! Be lovely to meet you :)

We just sign up and if somethings suggested, like karls firestarting or the shelter building etc, we state an interest and it goes from there really, theres not usually a scheduled timetable or any guarentee stated things will happen ;)

Last edited:
Panic! Just staring to get my kit together and can't find the ridgeline for my tarp. Don't understand as I am so meticulous when it comes to packing away. The blooming thing is bright yellow and I can't see it anywhere.

That aside, any suggestions on what to bring as its our first time doing this properly?

Mark

Can't get to my laptop, so sent on my mobile.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi Simon,

welcome to bcuk and welcome to North wood! :) yes by all means come along for a one nighter to see if you enjoy it. as Sally said, its very laid back if you want to practice or demonstrate anything just go ahead, its quite funny how things develop from no real format but it always works, and people keep coming back so it must be ok! :D

ill add you to the list for sat night Simon, all the info you need is on post 1, any questions just post up here or PM me.

Steve

please list your interest below only if you agree to the terms in post 1, indicate available days and include this line in the paste

1. woodspirits fri-sun
2. Karl82
3. Johnnyboy1971 +1 maybe 2
4. Rev G +1
5. NLW Days TBC
6. Elen Sentier (fri-Sunday)
7. Priam (Friday - Sunday + if available)
8. Spud (29th) evening tbc
9. TinkyPete (tbc due to work and other things)
10. essgee23 +1 or maybe +2 littluns, whole weekend
11. Turbogirl (fri- sun hopefully!)
12. Preper tbc
13. jimbo75 thur-sat tbc
14. bbh-skip + Jacob.
15. Ben and i would like to come to this meet.
16. Wanderinstar & Fishaben
17. cowboy
18. TheNative + guest fri-sun
19. brian trubshaw
20. luckylee tbc
21. snarf
22. Dreadhead & Water Gypsy
23. AndyBB (TBC)
24. Eric Methven (I'll be there for however long it lasts)
25. Cliv
26. sadsplace

Hi all,
I would love to come to the meet, but I have sooo much on that weekend. I might be able to make it late Saturday afternoon but will have to go Sunday morning.
We are due to be in Shugborough on the Sunday (Food festival:)), so the missus would have to meet me with the dog Sunday morning.

This would be my first BCUK meet so not really sure what to expect!! What normally happens at these meets?

Would it be ok to do for just an overnighter? I've got all my kit prepared anyway so no problem there.
Cheers
Simon

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Panic! Just staring to get my kit together and can't find the ridgeline for my tarp. Don't understand as I am so meticulous when it comes to packing away. The blooming thing is bright yellow and I can't see it anywhere.

That aside, any suggestions on what to bring as its our first time doing this properly?

Mark

Can't get to my laptop, so sent on my mobile.

ha, Mark dont panic, :D shelter, keeping dry/warm, sleep kit, food and the means to cook it.... thats it! there is of course the communal fire for cooking if you want, everything else is optional. :)

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE