North New Year Meet on! Sign up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
hope you all have a great time. and have a drink for me :D i was hoping to have my teepee/lavvu made in time for a baptism by fire ( or snow as the case may be ) but due to a late delivery on the canvas and the weather ( ie nowhere large enough indoors to mark and cut it out ) i wont be able to make it .

all the best :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

tom

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Razorstrop said:
Morch, if you are out there, I know you did work on Great tiwer, but your are more then welcome to tag along with your lad :)

Thanks Mr S, but i decided to just go to Great Towers anyway. 3 or 4 days chill out in the woods with ya 2 boys, what more could ya ask for, can't wait. Have a great time everyone, look forward to hearing about it ;)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Might be late to catch an answer but it's bound to be cool to show up.

Chances of my making it down are a bit slimmer after pulling a shoulder muscle a couple of days ago. It's not bad but is sore when I change gear so
a long drive isn't too appealing.
Will decide tommorrow, have a good one. :)

Emberglow

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2005
Bolton
Ok latest update,

They will open toilet blocks for us on Friday, and may call down to see us Friday night, after that we have the free run of the site, the only request is no new fires, only use the oil drums or alter fires, clean up any mess and the site is ours for the weekend. I will collect site fees and sort that side of it out. Groovski its a real shame about your shoulder, cause i just got permission to set a target and shoot, maybe if you have a small target I will bring my recurve.

Warden says there is plenty wood :)

All that's left to say is that the site wardens have been great and I hope everyone has a good time however long they stay, just call in for a brew if you want. See you there sometime Fri night/maybe Sat depending on work

Looked at the map and I am not telling people where to camp but the patrol sites have alter fires and are close together, so that might keep it nice and cosy.

P.S. the warden was most amused and said the ground is frozen and tent pegs could be a problem :lmao:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Och it's not that bad, and seems to be migrating to the small of my back now anyway. I probably change gear going to work more than I will getting down there so take the bow.
Knew I should have bought a pair of those glo-mitts. That's what comes of curtailing a spending spree. :(

Originaly Posted by Emberglow
P.S. the warden was most amused and said the ground is frozen and tent pegs could be a problem :lmao:
Ha, what care bushcrafters of tent pegs?
[Note to self: Don't forget the tent pegs this time ya numpty!] :rolleyes:

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I'll do the briefest of reports.

Middlewood Campsite---- superb venue. Could host a large BCUK meet in the future.

The people--- Graham S, Myself and Mrs Strop, Bikething, Goose, MiniGoose, Gaz_Miggy and Emberglow.

Bushcrafting--- Hammocks were used by most, a nice constant warm fire with plenty of firewood supplied by the site, we had a good play with bracket fungus as tinder, found some Jews ears that I dropped in the fire lol , pushed a dead Birch tree over for dry wood and I believe they were setting an eel bag as I left yesterday, to see if it would work. We had a wander around and did some tree, plant and fungus ID. Plus the obligatory kit comparisons and swaaping of ideas techniques etc etc.

Beer Drinking--- Well it was New Year :)

I think Graham S and Goose might have a pic or two to show.

Twas good bushcrafty fun

Mr Strop

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
hey my 1st meet ever and realy enjoyed it. thanks 2 strop for showing me the fire bow was abit hard cuz of the damp but got an ember in the end. the eal bag didnt work but we had fun with the ice. thanks 2 evryone there for making it grait and to goose espeshaly for taking me down. hope to see you all again at the next one. :You_Rock_

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
An excellent weekend(midweek?), frozen bashas, tried some new stuff, outstanding social occasion, learnt stuff, showed stuff and spent hours round a fire with lots of knives what more could you want?

Thanks to everyone that was there, especialy Emberglow and Razorstrop :You_Rock_ for organising we have to do it again soon.I still need to find out what jews ear tastes like :lmao:

First thing Jodie did when she got home was to go on ebay and look for reindeer skins and firesteels :rolleyes: I suggested finding a clock though :D

Anybody worried about using a hammock and tarp in this weather, don't we had freezing weather and rain, the hammock was warm dry and comfy, and I don't have expensive bags and kit, although if I would have had a reindeer skin I don't think I would have moved at all! ;)

PS. A bit late I know but anyone have plans for reindeer traps, I am getting me rudolphs coat next christmas :naughty:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
What they all said!

had a great time.. met some old friends and some new ones..

learnt a few new tricks....got to practice hammock knots......on someone else :D (yep!, I was the only non-hammocky person :eek: ,
Though it's the first time i've had a solid door on a tent, it was that cold!

3 days of prodding a fire, drinking tea and eating bacon butties!! heaven!

was worth the long drive there.....when we doing it again? huh? huh?

Site was perfect with plenty of bushcrafty opportunities (sp?)

Big thanks to Garry and Liz for making this happen :35: , :You_Rock_

Steve

see you all again soon!

Emberglow

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2005
Bolton
Had a fantastic time with great people at a good location what more can I say? :You_Rock_

Whens the next one?

Thanks to everyone who came

Reactions: Graham_S

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Razorstrop said:
I'll do the briefest of reports.

Middlewood Campsite---- superb venue. Could host a large BCUK meet in the future.

The people--- Graham S, Myself and Mrs Strop, Bikething, Goose, MiniGoose, Gaz_Miggy and Emberglow.

Bushcrafting--- Hammocks were used by most, a nice constant warm fire with plenty of firewood supplied by the site, we had a good play with bracket fungus as tinder, found some Jews ears that I dropped in the fire lol , pushed a dead Birch tree over for dry wood and I believe they were setting an eel bag as I left yesterday, to see if it would work. We had a wander around and did some tree, plant and fungus ID. Plus the obligatory kit comparisons and swaaping of ideas techniques etc etc.

Beer Drinking--- Well it was New Year :)

I think Graham S and Goose might have a pic or two to show.

Twas good bushcrafty fun

Mr Strop

Aargg....... Missed this one. Last time I looked it was being cancelled.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE