North Face Blue Kazoo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheNugget

May 14, 2015
UK
Hi,
I've been looking for a new sleeping bag.
Currently I've got a Rab Atlas 500 and a Carinthia Defence 4.
I find the Rab too cold, narrow and constrictive when the temperatures drop to low single digits, but I like the pack size and weight.
The Carinthia is huge when packed and heavy - not overly keen on the face hole either.

Looked around a lot and the North Face Blue Kazoo seems to fit the bill. Comfort -4, comfort limit -10. Reviews say roomy. Weight around 1200g. Can be had for <£200 which is my budget.

I don't want anything over 1300g and don't want anything narrow.
I've ruled out Alpkit pipe dream and prefer TNF bag over the sky high.
Looked at lots of others but can't find anything better for the price.

I don't do much, if any, winter camping.
But want to rationalise and will probably sell both my other bags and use this all year round.

Any opinions on this bag, or obvious alternatives?
I'm 5"11 and about 14.5 stone with a 44" chest.

Thanks

Jon.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
not tried the blue kazoo, but my old TNF down bag (can't remember the name, but was rated to -20) has lasted very well. i'm about the same size as you and did find it a touch narrow, but don't know if they're the same cut across the board.
For that money, i'd be tempted to find a retailer nearby and actually get in one.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The biggest problem with the Kazoo is finding one in the UK to try out - its a regular question over on Outdoor Magic. Very few stock it even online, although Trekinn does (the long version is £30 cheaper than the regular) https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/the-north-face-blue-kazoo-long/135961282/p . At £211, thats a good price.

Decently reviewed and very popular in the US http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/blue-kazoo/, although classed as 3 season bag, not 4, so perhaps not for late winter, and a good price. The problem with sleeping bags is that they are very individual, both in terms of fit and warmth. The temp rating is pretty well covered, because its a well known bag - you know roughly what your getting. But fit is one of those things its always best to check - I've tried a MH bag, and they are great bags, but the foot is way too tight for me although my ME Classic 500 is great.

Could always order it, and return it if the fit isn't right, but finding a local supplier would be even better.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I'd hang on, you might get lucky, and pick one up in the black friday sales. They've all ready started in some shops.

All ways decent deals and bargains to be had :)

TheNugget

May 14, 2015
UK
Bagged it in the end from TrekInn for £173 delivered. Long, right hand zip which is what I wanted. Good tip on Black Friday, completely forgot about that!

TheNugget

May 14, 2015
UK
Ok, so that didn't work out.
After some confusing messages from TrekInn they don't have one of these in stock.
Still no clarification of when/if when they will be issuing a refund. I'd avoid this company if I were you.
The order still shows as in stock on their website and that it is being prepared for shipping, but they've told me they don't have it and to cancel on their website - which there is no actual way to do...

Anyway, bee looking at a Marmot Sawtooth - anyone got an opinion on those?
Best price appears to be £180. Current best price on the Blue Kazoo appears to be £210.
Both from reputable traders!

They seem quite equivalent.
Comfort to -2/4c
Weight around 1100g

Is there anything else at that price point that anyone recommends?

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
You can have a look at Trailspace again http://www.trailspace.com/gear/marmot/sawtooth/, but the Marmot has exactly the same problem as the TNF Blue Kazoo - largely unknown over here, and very difficult to get hold of, so you have no idea as to cut, etc. Its one of the problems with buying a bag via the net - you end up with loads of possibilities, many of which are basically US only. There was a guy on Outdoor Magic who kept just googling 'two season sleeping bag', and then asked everyone what they thought of the ones he'd found - 90% of which had never been sold outside the US. We just said look at whats local for a start (he did, but 'two season' did not mean what he thought it meant, and he bought the wrong bag).

Its a three season bag, and I'm sure is decent (Marmot is a good brand), but you've almost no chance of actually finding one in the flesh, and looking at around the £200 mark (Ellis Brigham have the Sawtooth for £199), you could pick up a Rab Ascent 500 http://www.facewest.co.uk/Rab-Ascent-500.html for £187 (or £164 at GO), or a four season 700 http://www.facewest.co.uk/Rab-Ascent-700.html for £212 - those are good prices anyway, and being a well known local brand, you can try a Rab for size etc in almost any decent store.

Again, firmly in the 3 season bracket, Blacks have the ME Classic 500 (which is what I've got, although I havn't had the chance to use it yet) at £180 https://m.blacks.co.uk/product/blue-mountain-equipment-classic-500-down-sleeping-bag/062919/ - well regarded and ME bags are easy to find in stores to try out. In fact they have the slightly heavier Titan 550 (but a very decent bag) at just £150, which a great deal https://m.blacks.co.uk/product/blue-mountain-equipment-titan-550wr-sleeping-bag/156958/

Most reviews on Trailpace seem to think its fine at roughly minus 9, which is very good for a 3 season bag, but the fit is going to be up to the individual. The ME Titan is a very good price for the spec, but I'd like the Rab 700 if you want to go warmer and heavier , which Go Outdoors currently have for just £189 !http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-ascent-700-sleeping-bag-p292434

TheNugget

May 14, 2015
UK
Good advice thanks. I find Rab bags generally quite tight. The ME bags seem a good option, but based on specs, I think the Marmot edges it.

That Ascent 700 is a great price for that Bag though.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The marmot does have a good spec for the money, and roughly minus 9 degrees is surprisingly good for that class of bag and fill weight. You just buying a bit of a pig in a poke as far as sizing, etc, but hopefully you can return it if its not right.

Yes, that Ascent would be really tempting if I had any money....

TheNugget

May 14, 2015
UK
So in the end I got a Marmot Sawtooth for £180 from Jackson-Sports.
It arrived quickly so great service.

Initial impressions are good.
Fit is as described. Perfect for someone 6 "0 or less.
Midriff and shoulder fit is relatively generous as far as these things go - fits my 36 waist and 44 chest ok, with enough room to wiggle about.
Lower leg space is quite narrow, but not untypical for the type of bag.
Overall fit is more generous than the Rab bags I have owned or tried.
Zip is good, doesn't snag, nice draft tube.
Inner material is lovely, very smooth and feels nice against the skin.
Hood design is good. Very cosy but not intrusive to the face. Easy to cinch up and still comfortable. When cinched up, it doesn't grip the head, it simply seems to close the space and you can still rotate your head within it.
Shoulder baffle is nice and again easy to cinch up and comfortable.

Pack size is reasonable for the price and class. Doesn't come with a compression sack, but the stuff sack is quite small anyway, there isn't much ability to compress beyond that point.

Haven't tried it in anger yet so can't comment on the warmth and rating yet.

Overall good price and quality product. Jackson-Sports recommended.
Trek-Inn not recommended!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Sounds great, and thats a good price for the spec. Its a pity that Marmot isn't stocking their bags more widely in the UK - they are big in the States. And yes, Jackson Sport has been bookmarked.

And compression bags are really cheap, if you really need one.
Hope for a writeup when you've used it!

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Glad ya got sorted in the the end mate. :)

It's a real pita when ordering stuff online, to receive a email a week's' later telling ya it's not in stock. :(

Aye, post a user review up, be helpful for other folk, when choosing a new sleeping bag. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE