North east bushcraft weekends

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Depending on dates I might be interested. I'm fairly new to Bushcrafting but I've done some forestry work before. depending on dates and work commmitments I might be able to make the trip.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It is run/owned by Castle Morpeth Borough Council. It's actually near Morpeth in Northumberland. I haven't managed to get up there yet. My operation is next week and I am in severe discomfort most of the time right now. Once I'm recovered it'll all kick off and I'll post some dates. I'm still in contact with the ranger.

Eric

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Cheers for the update mate.

Eric_Methven said:
My operation is next week and I am in severe discomfort most of the time right now. Eric

Hang in there bud, not be long before you're fighting fit again ;)

Dave

F

faolin little wolf

Any one my age (16) near bedlington fancy coming up to plessey woods for a pow wow?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Really like the sound of this and have never been to BC uk meet before, would love to put faces to names :) , my problem is I only have net access at my parents (dog sitting at the mo). Could someone please pm when dates are published as i am very eager to attend. cheers! :) :D

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'm pretty much up and about. I'll be visiting the area with the ranger probably next week as I want to do a proper recce before I go up to the Loch Achray meet. Once that's done I'll let you all know what's happening.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
OK, just a quick update on what's happening down here in Durham.

I've had a meeting today with a couple of guys from Durham County Council, Countryside department. I've now got three woods to work in, all around the Waldridge/Pelton Fell area.

One specific wood, and the one they want most work done on immediately, is an area of special scientific interest (SSSI). It is 600 acres, 300 of which is wooded and the remainder wetland - except it is not wet. There's a very rare butterfly lives there and is in threat because the wetland area is drying up. It is drying up because all the silver birch and sycamore on the surrounding hilsides are taking the water that wold normally work it's way down to the boggy bit. So, all the sycamore and all the birch has to come out. It has to be returned to its designated state in order for the local authority to continue getting funding. So they are really keen to have the trees removed.

The birch is self seeded and is about six inches at the butt and maybe twelve to fourteen feet tall.

My plans are to fell the birch first then tackle the sycamore which is classified as invasive and also has to come out. From the birch I will get long straight poles suitable for bows, tons of cuts for making spoons, loads of bits suitable for kuskas, and all the top twigs for besom brooms. I'll also have time to peel the bark of each trunk so I'll get tons of fresh birch bark for making containers.

The sycamore will be cut, stacked and used for bowls, both carved and turned, wooden plates, spoons and other treen work. There's a few oak to be removed from the other woods and they basically just have to be thinned out, so there's loads of wood going to be available to take away for projects and firewood.

Anybody interested in lending a hand from time to time? You get to take away as much as you can cram into your vehicle. This will be a project for over the winter months, at least up to march when I have to stop to protect the nesting season.

The only problem with these woods is it might not be safe to camp overnight. Not because of the camping, but safety of vehicles, as they are all in areas where anti-social behaviour is evident. Aparently, one of the woods is regularly used for lamping with lurchers, so the ranger told me. Still, I'll find a way round the problem. There is one small wood I haven't been to yet that might be good for hanging hammocks, and we can park in a nearby pub carpark and convoy kit in in one vehicle, but I need to recce it first.

I'll be plodding on in any case, but any of you living in the north east would be most welcome to help out as and when you fancy.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE