North American Signal Crayfish

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I picked up a leaflet today on these fellows from Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH). It seems thay are quite keen to eradicate it from our rivers, lochs etc. However, I believe it is illegal to fish for crayfish without a licence. Does this apply to the Signal Crayfish or can we set traps for it in infected waters? I noted that Mr Mears cooked some recently and they looked fabulous to eat. So can we set traps in Scottish lochs and rivers for these things? :confused:

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
hi fred you need to contact the environment agency and ask for an fr2 form this is an application to use fishing instuments other than rod and line they will send you an information pack with a lot of detailsit is illegal to remove the white clawed crayfish (the native species) ive been trapping since last year fresh signals are very tasty :D

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
have been getting these little nippers for years now mainly down south they are real good on the open fire i set up to 10 traps all with tags from environment agency at no cost all you need is the land /river owners permission to do it. I have been know to catch 250+doing a all nighter :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
ady05 said:
hi fred you need to contact the environment agency and ask for an fr2 form this is an application to use fishing instuments other than rod and line they will send you an information pack with a lot of detailsit is illegal to remove the white clawed crayfish (the native species) ive been trapping since last year fresh signals are very tasty :D
Thanks, thats very helpful. I seem to remember that the law is different in Scotland as far as fishing is concerned. Does this application apply in Scotland, do you know? :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE