Norlund

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Quite recently a fine Gentleman gave me a gift of an axe head, I have done my homework on rehandling it from scratch, but I have decided to try and find out a little about this tool.

The axe head has Norlund printed across the back just before the poll. From poll to bit it is 5 inches in length, the poll measures 7/8ths of an inch across and 1 3/8ths of an inch in depth. The bit has a cutting edge 3 1/4 inch in length, the weight of the head is approx 12 ounces.

From the size and shape of the head it looks like the Norlund Voyageur, has anyone any experience of these????

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can't help directly Leon, but if you give Jimbo a shout on OMF I'll bet he could tell you more

Red

I sure like the Norlund axes!
Norlund was a sporting goods company which sold everything from axes and knives to non slip boot accessories - with a few things like special fish gaffs and spear heads in between. They went out of business decades ago, though the label has now been taken over and axes are again being produced with the same labels etc. So they never made any axe heads but rather had them made by the Mann Edge Tool co in Penn.
The axe heads were made to a high standard with excellent heat treat - as a person soon finds out when they decide to file one and get below the surface... Whether the current ones are any good, I don't know - but the prices on ebay show that people have a lot of regard for the old ones. The axes were expensive for their time and so it's not surprising that handle wood is good with vertical grain on every example I've bought. All of the head designs are good, and were pretty radical for their time. The 1 1/4lb head boy scout hatchet was considered "the" hatchet, and was produced in vast numbers and even for the military - so the light Norlund was quite a departure. Then there were the double bladed hatchets which now go for incredible prices, right up to 7lb monster axes.
Back in the 70's before the company went out of business, I was pretty sceptical of stuff that sold neatly packaged in sporting goods stores, when great Swedish axes were available for less at hardware stores. Now though, I've come to see that the designs weren't just dreamed up to attract campers, and that they were made to high standards.
That's the good news for people with a Norlund.
The bad news is that all of old Norlunds are a few decades old and that the "Hudson Bay" style heads on axes and hatchets often loosened. So people would soak them to tighten up the heads. That set dry rot going.
dryrot2.jpg

No matter how good the handle looks, never trust it without removing the head.
It takes a fair bit of work to put a head into condition. Really old heads were forged with grooving in the eye to make a secure fit. That was dropped. It really pays to spend time opening out the eye at the front slightly for better wedging (front 1/4 to 1/3). Not many people who bought stuff from hardware stores knew how to sharpen so lots of careful work is needed in that regard. The idea is get the widest cutting bevels possible and have them as even and polished as possible. Same for the ramps to the eye. Lots of hand work, even after careful grinding!
So the question comes up as to whether it's worth all that work and time - well other than for far-gone axe fanatics. I've done quite a bit of chopping with most hatchets in the weight range, and nothing of equal weight comes close to a proper profiled Norlund, despite a lot of careful finishing on the other stuff. Controversial, I'm sure. Gear craziness and the quest for the ultimate generally goes nowhere in enjoyment of the outdoors, though. Usually it's counter-productive - for me at least - and so a fascination with making axes and hatchets more efficient takes some explaining. Here most of the well known tricks don't work well or at all due to wet conditions. From cutting half way through long branches and levering to split, to burning unsplit logs in half, results are pretty sad. So a person learns other ways of getting stuff split up for fires. It gets very easy to tell yourself that just getting stuff split and a fire going is good enough, if you don't use a hatchet. Seeing how fast and easy things go with a properly set up hatchet, leads a person to start thinking of methods which will approach that level of efficiency, though. I guess a long way of saying that fixing up tools to where they make difficult jobs simple is great -as long as they don't then get to make one feel dependent on them.

leon-1

Thanks OJ, that's good of you to take the time.

The head is already setup pretty well (the gentleman that gave it to me knows a lot more about axes than I) and it is not really new, now having read some of your other reviews (one on the GB hatchet versus the Vaughan), you refer to the Norlund on occassion I can see you have a fair amount of time for it.

Looks like I am going to need a nice piece of seasoned Ash:D

I believe that you will find it well worth your time to fix up the hatchet. There are no huge mysteries to hatchet fixing, and performance, just simple mechanics - but things took a while to sink in for me. The reason for that is that it takes a lot of time to assess just how much little imperfections can affect overall performance. It takes a bunch of work to remove most imperfections, even on a small head like the Norlund.
Lots can be done after the head is handled, but some should be done now. Any mushrooming at the poll is easily removed with a flat file, because the metal is soft there. The eye is hourglass shaped in cross section, tapering out at the back so that the head can be more easily forced onto the handle, and tapering out again at the front so that the wedges force the handle wood against that taper and actually work. Narrow poll Hudson Bay style axes such as this one have a terrible and well deserved reputation for head loosening, but for the wrong reasons. Use a narrow round file to clean up inside the eye. Try not to file too much of the middle third which is the narrow part of the hourglass, just open the tapers at front and back. Unless someone has done this before, you'll see that it takes some time to get everything filed and shiny. Those low spots which stay rusty are the bits which didn't properly make contact with the wood and caused handle loosening... You won't have loosening problems if you spend the time to finish the eye properly to get full wood contact, and won't need epoxy fillers. It takes a bit more time than a person would figure at first, but a little work now and then while making handle.
These hatchets work really well with a 15" handle (front of head to back of handle). It's longer than the original, but most people carry hatchets on a pack and so it isn't any more awkward to carry.
A quick assessment of how much honing will have to be done is achieved by putting some emery paper on a mousepad or even a few newspapers. A couple of rubs of the sides of the head will usually show that the scratches don't extend down to the edge and that the eye ramps are uneven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE