Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
the heavyiest thing i carry is water hate to think what it will be like when i carry a 10 + litres of the stuff

10 liters+???:Wow: :Wow: :Wow:
woah! you're taking a bath with you?:lmao:
The only place you'd need that much is if you were escaping from a desert or jungle and needed it to stay alive! (but then that amount would cause you to sweat more just carrying it!)

I rarely take more than 1litre perhaps 2litres if it's a really long walk in summer.

when i did My Mountain leader course I only ever had 2litres and we were up and down mountains all day!

one thing i learned about water carrying was:
in the morning before you leave Drink as much as you can literally till you burst, (now you will need a pee a few times during your walk) but you won't need a drink for ages!
this means the 1 liter you carry is for when you really need it!

the only time i took 3 liters with me is on a 3 day expedition over the lake district, I never actually used it all.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
When I was mountainbiking in Utah I took 5l in 2 camelbak bladders. Used both in a 4 hour ride! PITA to haul up hill but helped you speed up on the decents:) .

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
When I was mountainbiking in Utah I took 5l in 2 camelbak bladders. Used both in a 4 hour ride! PITA to haul up hill but helped you speed up on the decents:) .

But that was serious mountain biking! probably racing from what you've told me so you would use that amount of water!

I heard they banned camelbaks for Pro downhill racers, something about possibly unfairly changing their wind resistance.

I use a 2 liter Camelbak for Biking too!:)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
here is random question how do you clean your kit while on the go like after cooking diiner how do you clean it up

Usually fill the billy up with water and place it by the fire for a while. This usually soaks off the worst. I carry a green scourer to scrub pans clean. I don't use detergents. Sand is a good pan scourer if it's available where you are camping.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
But that was serious mountain biking! probably racing from what you've told me so you would use that amount of water!

I heard they banned camelbaks for Pro downhill racers, something about possibly unfairly changing their wind resistance.

I use a 2 liter Camelbak for Biking too!:)
Nah mate, I've never raced in my life:) . It was pretty serious biking though. They get fatalities almost every year in the area due to dehydration, with folks underestimating the lengths of rides and the possibilities of delays due to mechanicals.
It was road racers that were banned from using them for aerodynamic reasons, although I'd hate to wear one on my road bike, I'd much rather have bottles.

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
millets still have a good lot of stuff reduced in their sale, I just grabbed some of those sleeping bag expanders for 99p each from £7.99. also got a 15l camping bucket half price. They have non stick mess tins for £10 the pair and much more.

Usual thing Not relation just happy customer

I went into the woods this monday and set up my camp a little different plus a tried out my new hammock they are realy comfy but cold at the same time.

DSCF0380.jpg

DSCF0384.jpg

DSCF0389.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Meet this Friday at the "Hethel site" 10am sorry not much notice.

We're meeting Damascus, at the Hethel site where basically anything Bushcrafty goes, open fires:D , Knife longer than 3":rolleyes: ,parking, hammocks etc, and no public to scare off!!
You'll love the place it's a disused WW2 USAF airbase there are usable underground bunkers and remains of the army buildings dotted all over it!
(it would be a great place to play paintball :BlueTeamE

It's a few miles south of Norwich, If anyone from Norwich Needs a lift I can take 4 people, we'd like to get there around 10am

Tell us if you're around!:D
cheers
Rich

:D Kai Leingod, You've got your kit well sorted mate! come along this Friday if you can!
tried out my new hammock they are realy comfy but cold at the same time.
simple answer, you need insulation
there are two common ways people deal with cold in a hammock:
1 put a foam camping mat in the hammock.
2 put an warm layer underneath the hammock (like an "Underquilt".
Either way it's tricky to sort out and possibly expensive if you go the underquilt way.
another option is to get hold of a sewing machine and make your own design(it's what i do as i never have any spare cash!:rolleyes: )

We're meeting Damascus, at the Hethel site where basically anything Bushcrafty goes, open fires:D , Knife longer than 3":rolleyes: ,parking, hammocks etc, and no public to scare off!!
You'll love the place it's a disused WW2 USAF airbase there are usable underground bunkers and remains of the army buildings dotted all over it!
(it would be a great place to play paintball :BlueTeamE

It's a few miles south of Norwich, If anyone from Norwich Needs a lift I can take 4 people, we'd like to get there around 10am

Tell us if you're around!:D
cheers
Rich

:D Kai Leingod, You've got your kit well sorted mate! come along this Friday if you can!

simple answer, you need insulation
there are two common ways people deal with cold in a hammock:
1 put a foam camping mat in the hammock.
2 put an warm layer underneath the hammock (like an "Underquilt".
Either way it's tricky to sort out and possibly expensive if you go the underquilt way.
another option is to get hold of a sewing machine and make your own design(it's what i do as i never have any spare cash!:rolleyes: )

Not fare i have work :(

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
(Kai Leingod: just keeping the advert at the forefront)
check post 271

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just found out TOH means "The Other Half" I'm a bit slow on these things!:rolleyes:
Totally understand mate;)

As for pick up time, I'll wait to see who is coming.

Damn, I need a sort of "poke" button to let all the group know.:confused:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
check post 271

the inside of just 1 of the Bunkers at Hethel::rolleyes:
251348928_f0bafdc7cd.jpg

When i went with Damascus we found at least 3 bunkers that were fully functional.
weird thing is because the woods have grown around them there is no obvious path, or reasoning for their position, so it'd difficult to find other ones.:rolleyes:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Don't know if I can make it but I'll let you know ASAP. If I can is there any chance of a lift from Norwich station?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
[B said:
Snufkin;[/B]510665]Don't know if I can make it but I'll let you know ASAP. If I can is there any chance of a lift from Norwich station?

course I can mate, no worries!:D
Globetrotter lives quite close to Norwich station perhaps you could both meet me there?

Lord Lurcher, Kev-b, Gearguru, and any of the new guy's free?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE