Non-Scandi RWL34 (MCQBushcraft)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
And while we're all thinking about non-Scandi knives and more expensive steels, this new offering from MCQ Bushcraft comes along.

For what it's worth this is right up my street in terms of its looks, construction and dimensions, but way out of my price bracket. What do others reckon on it?

And while I'm on, any views as to an alternative that might be a bit more affordable?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Can't see a price there, but I doubt it's worth it. I do actually prefer flat (or in fact hollow) grinds for knives, but it looks a bit... Clumsy maybe? Just something about it I'm not keen on

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I think I've seen (on Facebook I think?) a figure around 300 quid. As I say, too rich for me. Hence also looking for suggestions for alternatives.

Unless one of the components is made from unicorn ivory, that's waaaaaaaay too much. Yes RWL34 is expensive, but a knife sized billet even buying one will run ~£30, buying in quantity I'd wager far less. I've never actually worked with it but don't imagine it's all that much harder to form than any other steel out there. Probably doesn't outperform it greatly either. Not sure on a direct alternative, but there are loads of full flat options out there in other steels

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Price of this knife, called the Field Master (as made by L B Custom Knives with design input from Mike of MCQ Bushcraft) confirmed as £300. Here Mike explains his rationale:

[video=youtube;HjV83obZqz8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjV83obZqz8&feature=em-uploademail[/video]

Just to be clear I have no interest in sales of this knife; it's nothing to do with me! I just like some of the thinking behind it - ie non-Scandi, micarta scales, kydex sheath and all - all of which strike me as very practical & sensible. And no I won't be buying one either 'cos it's far too expensive for me!

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I don't see the problem really. The custom-knife market has exploded, seems like all makers have a waitinglist, the demand is higher, so prices go up. Economics.

This looks like a capable knife, not more or less than a 425,00 GBP O1-steel knife with micarta scales from Ben Orford for instance.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Lee's Knives are put together well and thought out , if you look at that price its inline or below what other makers charge , Lee has a range of 01 bushcraft knives at less cost in fact less than most custom makers charge , please note my opinion is biased as iv few great knives from him.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I've attempted to purchase one but sadly they are "Out Of Stock" and with no indication of waiting time or indeed how to get on the list.

Guess that's internet-driven bushcraft for you!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've never seen a video that long with someone trying to sell a knife.

That sounds like sour grapes for some reason doesnt it? :lmao: Mmmmm, ......he goes on a bit though dunt he?

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've attempted to purchase one but sadly they are "Out Of Stock" and with no indication of waiting time or indeed how to get on the list.

Guess that's internet-driven bushcraft for you!

Im sure that info will suddenly pop up for you somewhere!

Although tbh I didnt watch all of it.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
my thoughts as a maker... price is irrelevant... you either charge what you can to make it viable and that still isnt enough or charge what you want. a handmade knife is a small thing but has a big soul...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I watched the video with interest yesterday. It's a lovely looking knife, and while £300 quid is a lot of money, I've seen higher prices for custom knives, so it's not outrageous.

The problem I see with it is one I find with most bushcraft knives. The blade is thicker than I like, and also longer than I like. If you watch a lot of Mike's videos you will see that he favours a large blade, a lot of his earlier videos he's using an ESEE 6, with a 6.5" long 4.75mm thick blade. Personally I prefer shorter blades in the around 80mm region, and I must admit I like the 2mm thickness of a Mora clipper.

Either way, the Field Master is a nice looking knife and I'm sure it'll make many people happy.

J

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I watched the video with interest yesterday. It's a lovely looking knife, and while £300 quid is a lot of money, I've seen higher prices for custom knives, so it's not outrageous.

The problem I see with it is one I find with most bushcraft knives. The blade is thicker than I like, and also longer than I like. If you watch a lot of Mike's videos you will see that he favours a large blade, a lot of his earlier videos he's using an ESEE 6, with a 6.5" long 4.75mm thick blade. Personally I prefer shorter blades in the around 80mm region, and I must admit I like the 2mm thickness of a Mora clipper.

Either way, the Field Master is a nice looking knife and I'm sure it'll make many people happy.

J

I'd happily do a review if I ever get my hands on one and not because I consider myself a Bushcraft guru in such matters but rather Mike's very particular reference to the Feild Master's suitability to a task that the ubiquitous Scandinavian grind equipped "Bushcraft Knife" does not cope with so well. Namely the in-the-field prep' of UK game/vermin.

The Feild Master does however confirm there is no such thing as a perfect knife as although Mike referred to it's use on roe deer I can be 100% certain the Feild Master's deep belly makes it totally unsuitable for Best Practice compliant removal of the anal tract of any deer. Best reason however for owning and carrying a small back-up neck knife.

The only alteration I'd like to see is that of offering the Feild Master with a choice of brown or green scales with matching (non black) sheaf.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...What do others reckon on it?

It doesn't float my boat. I certainly wouldn't want to use it on game, although I suppose it could do for general food and firewood prep.
I don't like the corners on the handle, nor those nasty fasteners, nor the extension of the handle down to the ricasso, nor the blade surface finish. I like polish, and RWL34 can take a great polish.
I quite like the blade shape although I've never really used blades with a lot of belly, even in the kitchen.
I'm no fan of Kydex sheaths, although I do have a couple and I'll allow that they do have a place. Generally a wet one. :)

And while I'm on, any views as to an alternative that might be a bit more affordable?

There are many, many alternatives but you'd need to say a bit more about your expected usage for people to give any really useful help.

Even using cheaper materials, looking at the amount of work that will have to go into it I don't think 300 quid is unreasonable for any decent hand-made knife with sheath.

If you want to save money but still have an up-market blade steel you can get a full flat Enzo Trapper kit in RWL34 for around a hundred quid I think, but its looks might not suit you.

Personally I'm more concerned with how it feels and behaves in the hand and on the work than how it looks.

For most firewood prep I alternate (sometimes on the same bit of wood!) between a custom full flat and a scandi Deval Bushcrafter, both in O1.
For just splitting and feathering wood it seems like a waste to use anything more technical, especially since I can occasionally damage a blade quite badly if I find a bit of wire or a staple or something with it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I liked the reasoning he laid out for the grind on the knife and choice of materials used.

Personally, I'm not a lover of micarta or kydex but accept they do have their place. Were I to buy one I would have to answer yes to three main criteria A. would I use it enough to justify it, B. could I have it with stabalised wood and C. can I afford it. A and C are currently no, B more than likely I could as it's a custom knife

In our discussions about the knife MoT mentioned that the shape is very reminiscent of the Esee 3 or 4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE