no weld, oil drum wood stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
EDIT: hopefully got pics working now.

so i wanted a stove for the tipi im living in. the smoke was buggin me and it means i couldnt stand up or you know, be where most of the heat was. side-heat from the fire was fine but also such a waste of energy and fuel. so i came up with a design of oil drum wood stove that doesnt need welding. i had no idea if it would work.

it might be hard to explain, but instead of cutting out a rectangular shape for the door, i left little bits on the left side that i later rolled up into hindges, i did the same thing with the door i cut from another drum and just popped some metal wire through and yeah it works great as hinges.

I have a baffle in there, i just cut the bottom of another oil drum, folded it in half to get in in the door, bent it out again, and wedged it up to below the chimney out, i then just hammered in nails from the outside for it to rest on. i was thinking of placing some stones ontop of my baffle, to help keep some heat in my stove as its only an oil drum, and not thicker metal like a gas bottle, then it doesnt really keep heat as it is.

i bust a hole through (thats great tradesperson/craftpersonship language right there) the back for the chimney and put some rolled up metal from another drum in there. my chimney fits nicely on to this.

air flow was a problem so i put in another air vent at the front. that didnt really solve my problems so i made a hole at the back and have a bit of steel pipe which will bring air/draft in from outside. (there already is a cokecan think pipe running from outside the tipi to the traditional firepit to help with air so i can just connect my bit of pipe up that that, or more like put it into that.

this means that instead of sleeping on the floor, as comfy as it is on reindeer and sheepskins, i can now build a bed and get myself up off the ground. make a chair, desk, etc. it means i can make big changes to my living environment.

i was surprised how little it leaks smoke. a little by the chimney or sometimes some by the door. but this is to be in a tipi which is already well ventelated as its made of crappy green tarp.

heres some pics.

http://postimg.org/image/o6e01vteh/
http://postimg.org/image/9hy1tommx/
http://postimg.org/image/o5428grkp/
http://postimg.org/image/6111nttw9/

i used some tinsnips, a hammer and a nail. hammer+nail = drill, to make holes. its no work of art but its not suposed to be, i want it to make better use of heat and not be blinded by smoke if i stand up. quite chuffed with myself for coming up with the idea to be honest.

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Some friends lived in a sioux indian teepee for well over 5 years. They cooked and heated the tepee with a open fire, that was directly on the ground in the center of the tepee. They never had any problems with smoke as they only ever burned ash logs, that were then split down in size to no more than large sticks. The traditional teepee did have smoke flaps attached, that could be arranged via long poles, to air smoke control and airflow.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
You need a liner when living long term in a tipi it causes the smoke in most cases to be taken up and out of the smoke flaps and that is another important point, the smoke flaps have got to be facing the right direction in order for the smoke to be drawn up from floor level.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
You need a liner when living long term in a tipi it causes the smoke in most cases to be taken up and out of the smoke flaps and that is another important point, the smoke flaps have got to be facing the right direction in order for the smoke to be drawn up from floor level.
Thats very true about the skirt. Although I was led to believe that its primary purpose was to stop shadow casting if the enemy was after your skin, shooting through the illuminated canvas would be so easy.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thats very true about the skirt. Although I was led to believe that its primary purpose was to stop shadow casting if the enemy was after your skin, shooting through the illuminated canvas would be so easy.

That may have been the original plan, but what I found was without the liner the smoke swirls around at waist level also burning some green wood is a nightmare, like this year finding decent wood is almost impossible, Its a combination of the smoke flaps and liner that that create the up draft and you may need to alter the flaps several times a day, it can become tiresome after a while.
I have just had a look at your2nd pic, just a suggestion I found taking away the rocks around my fire and raising it meant a lot more all round warmth I used a large trivet to cook on also a tripod for slow cooking,hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE