No tin opener?

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
Saw this done on another Youtube vid.
It's OK for tuna or similar but as said before soup is a no no!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
He seems to have lost about 1/2 the contents of the tin as well...amazing how much brine or oil is in one of those cans!

Gavmar

Life Member
Jan 24, 2010
Dagenham Essex
There is a similar tip in Cody Lundin's, When all hell breaks loose.
Instead of rubbing the tin face down on a rock. Rub the side of the lid lip of the tin on a rock so it's upright keep moving it round and the lid pops off in the same way not spilling anything.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Anyone read Three Men in a Boat?

Tinned Pineapple

It cast a gloom over the boat, there being no mustard. We ate our beef in silence. Existence seemed hollow and uninteresting. We thought of the happy days of childhood, and sighed. We brightened up a bit, however, over the appletart, and, when George drew out a tin of pineapple from the bottom of the hamper, and rolled it into the middle of the boat, we felt that life was worth living after all.

We are very fond of pineapple, all three of us. We looked at the picture on the tin; we thought of the juice. We smiled at one another, and Harris got a spoon ready.

Then we looked for the knife to open the tin with. We turned out everything in the hamper. We turned out the bags. We pulled up the boards at the bottom of the boat. We took everything out on to the bank and shook it. There was no tin-opener to be found.

Then Harris tried to open the tin with a pocket-knife, and broke the knife and cut himself badly; and George tried a pair of scissors, and the scissors flew up, and nearly put his eye out. While they were dressing their wounds, I tried to make a hole in the thing with the spiky end of the hitcher, and the hitcher slipped and jerked me out between the boat and the bank into two feet of muddy water, and the tin rolled over, uninjured, and broke a teacup.

Then we all got mad. We took that tin out on the bank, and Harris went up into a field and got a big sharp stone, and I went back into the boat and brought out the mast, and George held the tin and Harris held the sharp end of his stone against the top of it , and I took the mast and poised it high up in the air, and gathered up all my strength and brought it down.

It was George's straw hat that saved his life......

There's more and I recommend it as a great read. I tend to carry my issue-type folding opener and have my SAK as well.

Interesting video though.
Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE