No power tomorrow.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Here in glen Lyon we will be without power from 08:00 till 17:00.

luckily when we moved in we got gas cooker installed, and we have the log burner too.

any one els having a power outage tomorrow?

and how would you cope without power for 9 hours :rolleyes:

with no Internet I might be forced to read a book!!! Lol

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cooking heating and lighting is no issue, would probably run up a generator for the freezers - although they would okay for that long. Then I'd watch a film on the laptop :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Funny, folk in the village assume I have a genny. Mainly as the house has better lighting and heating when the powers out (regularly with the geese at certain times of year).

Yeah, carry on life as normal, read, cook, could watch a movie on laptop. Be diurnal and sleep if it's dark - or go for a wander.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Power cuts around here are quite common - usually a day or so after bad weather!
We also have frequent power cuts while they gaffertape our supply together to "maintain" it...
Coping is easy -I simply do not open the freezer (unless you want to take advantage of the oportunity to defrost it), cook on the woodburner or on one of the many gas or meths stoves I have and read or play Scrabbleby candle/lantern/torch light.
Hot water from the tap might get to be an issue as the pump will be off but it is simple to heat some up in a pan!
Power cuts - no biggy!

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
We actually do that here for fun everyonce in a while. We call it powerless evening, meaning cooking or grilling over an open fire, candles, camping in the livingroom, reading, playing a game or actually talking to each other...:rolleyes:
No TV, internet, radio etc.... But actual powercuts do happen, too.

Elen Sentier

Woodburner, gas-cylinder heater for bedroom if very cold. Camping gaz for emergencies cooker. Lighting we have rechargeable lights but this is where I really want a couple of tilly lamps or similar :). Like John, power outages in bad weather, specially high winds, are quite common here.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I dread scheduled power cuts, last one we went shopping and lunched out, arrived back at 16.00 power back on a 16.20 (cost me a fortune and no recompense from the power supply co.):rolleyes:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Woodburner, paraffin/Coleman fuel stoves, heaters and lanterns, laptop and dongle for the internet. As you know when your power will be out cook up a big stew or curry today so you only have to reheat tomorrow.

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Had it happen to us last week, they are replacing the lines from the telegraph poles to your house because someone in Scone decided to grab his when working on his chimney. It did not take longer than an hour.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Had it happen to us last week, they are replacing the lines from the telegraph poles to your house because someone in Scone decided to grab his when working on his chimney. It did not take longer than an hour.

They use electricity in Scone? I thought the considered it witchcraft there. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE