No music, no words, just watch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If it was the UK, i would have said ash, but since it appears to be filmed in the US/Canada, its probably black ash.

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
One of the most pleasant six minutes of viewing I've ever experienced! Thanks for sharing.

I love the way that machine separated the wood into layers - just brilliant.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the video.

Fraxinus nigra
= Black Ash. Native to the St Lawrence river valley.
Like the rest of the genus, it is ring porous. The power hammer crushes the layers of vessel elements
so the billets delaminate very easily.
Old log billets can be crushed with a big mallet, such as he uses for splitting.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't see why not. Black Ash is noted for these wood working qualities (as reported by Farrar = Trees in Canada).
If what you have is Fraxinus excelsior (European Ash), then it's monkey see, monkey do.
Split some green billets with the noted characters ( straight grain, no knots. . . ) and pound away.

I don't understand the wood anatomy of the very thin weft strips that he prepared.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Having seen clearly how that's done, now Google 'Black Ash Baskets' for images
to see what others of the First Nations of the eastern North America can do.
The big pack baskets are strong enough to stand on.

The parallel are all the items woven of western red cedar bark in the Pacific Northwest.
Modern school children are learning these skills.

My brother wove an enormous fruit basket using willow wands. Very nice.
The willow wasn't dead. They all sprouted and he had a shrubby thing in the kitchen.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Depends on the details of the wood anatomy. Principally, the difference between ring porous (yes) and diffuse porous (no, don`t even try).
Of the ring porous genera, Black Ash (Fraxinus nigra) appears to be the best of the best = most easily worked wet and green/fresh.
First Nations, like in the video, have done this paleo-style for many centuries.

I don't have any idea if your Fraxinus excelsior (European Ash) will be OK or fight back.
Serve to you, sir.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE