Nitgrogen in tyres?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure if this is the place to ask but does anyone know if nitrogen in tyres is worth having? Also if you already have tyres fitted can you have it put in afterwards? I've just replaced four tyres over the past month and spotted Kwikfit offer it for new tyres for £1 per tyre. Got a better deal elswhere so couldn't take advantage. I believe nitrogen doesn't filter through the tyres over time like air does thus keeping the tyre pressures where they should be reducing wear and providing improved fuel efficiency. 5% according to Kwikfit. As a lazy motorist who checks his tyre pressure only when it starts looking a little flat it sounds a good call.

Anyhow a trip to sunny Scotland coming up so must get the old banger back in shape. Oil, water, tyres, spare tyre and whatever else I can think of. I could always give it a wash. Afterall the bug splats and bird **** is starting to fill the screen. :D

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I'm an aircraft engineer, and there are several arguments for using Nitrogen in aircraft tyres..... The dry Nitrogen, having no oxygen, will not feed a fire in the event of an emergency on landing. The lack of moisture is rumoured to be better for the life of the tyre lining (it's the very innermost layer that holds the pressure).

As for whether the nitrogen is better in car tyres, I would not expect the difference to be noticeable in everyday use. Defective tyres will leak, wether Air or Nitrogen, and regular pressure checks will ensure the correct pressures are used.

If you get Nitrogen filled tyres at the time of fitting, unless you return the car to Kwik Fit to top up the pressures (both you and they will find this inconvenient), you will eventually end up with a mix of Nitrogen and Air in the tyres.

As Air is about 70% Nitrogen anyway, it's a negligble benefit, in my opinion, and overpriced at £1 per tyre.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Wallenstein - I doubt the helium would get into the tyres, I'd be too busy doing donald duck impressions by inhaling helium. Always wanted to try it.

Did you hear about the American who fitted a load of helium filled ballons to his deckchair and floated off in it? Don't know if that was a myth or not but it sounds good. Afterall if a helium filled UFO can get the police chasing after it for many hours why not some nutter in a hellium filled ballon chair going for a quick flight.

So I'm guessing its a big fat con getting nitrogen filled tyres, that's the consensus (out of 3 replies). The other conclusion is that you lot think I should just check pressures more often and not be so lazy. I'd tend to agree with you afterall £4 for all tyres would buy 1.5 pints of real ale up here (or 0.5 pints of recycled lager pish down south). :D

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
as Wallenstien said plus I seem to recall it is better in tyres operating at high temperatures - such as racing tyres.

Not worth it on a car. Very good quality oil, correct tyre pressure and a clean air filter will get you a considerably more mpg for you money.

Is it a diesel or petrol car?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If you really want to look after your tyres, then how about some Ultraseal - or tyreseal as I think its known now following a flood of fakes flooding the market? The BMW Owners club (motorcycles) highly recommend it apparently. First saw it demonstrated at a bike show, where they invited you to puncture a demo tyre with screwdrivers/awls etc - it sealed immediately with no loss of air- not bad for a tyre with more than 100 stab-wounds! I've used it in both cars and motorcycles - never had to worry about airloss or punctures in any of them. And when eventually replacing tyres, it leaves no mess for the tyreshops to moan about either, unlike some sealants. (and it also cured a slight wobble on one car wheel that I never managed to get properly fixed by wheel-balancing/tracking.) Its not cheap, but not having to worry about high-speed blowouts on a motorcycle is a big comfort!

http://www.tyreseal.co.uk/

http://www.ultraseal-tyre-protection.co.uk/ultraseal-puncture-prevention-bournemouth/index.asp

http://www.ultraseal.com/pages/benefits.html

To be honest, it was Ultraseal I've used, but it appears Tyreseal is the same thing and possibly same group?

Usual qualifications - no financial interest in product or company etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
In the automotive world nitrogen in tyres has two functions.
1. to minimise tyre pressure increase as the tyre gets hotter therefore maintaining ride comfort.
2. to shift the tyre cavity resonance frequency which may be a problem on some vehicles.

Unless you are particularly bothered about these then I would just stick to normal compressed air.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Air is 79% nitrogen anyhow. Reminds me of when they were selling those cans of pure oxygen in nightclubs... Considering a human being only uses about 4% in normal breathing it was a 96% waste

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Something to consider!

Correct tyre pressure ensures that your vehicle handles in the safest, most fuel efficient manner, in all driving and weather conditions.

Checking your tyre pressures (including spare) every week gives you the chance to visually inspect the wheels and tyres for any signs of wear or damage.

In the event of an accident (even a non fault one) your insurance company can refuse to honour any claims if they find that your tyre pressures were not in accordance with the manufacturer's settings. And they will probably conduct their own check.

The driver of a vehicle whom operates with incorrect tyre pressures may be subject to prosecution if an accident or injury were found to have been caused by tyres which were negligently maintained.

bonzodog

Oct 1, 2008
norfolk
i have had ultraseal in my last three cars ,pressures have remained constant .got somthing simular in our cycles.

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
The nitrogen system can only work if the tyre is fitted in a nitrogen chamber ?? otherwise you are just compressing the "normal" air that is in the tyre ??

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fill your tyres with Hydrogen! it'll reduce the weight of your car and increase milage ;)

You'd certainly know when you had a blow out!:yikes:

The flying office chair chappy is something else mind you:35:
unlike the loony Brazilian priest, who is now, sadly, somewhere else:sadwavey:

back to the original topic; if it was that much of a benefit; it'd be a LOT more expensive for a start. I'm actually amazed they are bothering to try to flog it to punters at all, it barely seems worth the bother, unless they are getting the nitrogen for next to nowt:confused:

atb

R.B.

steveyd35

Jun 8, 2013
Scotland
Hi all , Does anyone know if it's ok to top up with air after using Nitrogen initially , can't be bothered going back to kwik-fit as their service sucks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE