nissan patrol gearbox noise - can u help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi all

I have a 1983 Nissan MQ Patrol 2.8 litre petrol (L28) with a four speed box.
The gearbox is noisy at the higher rev end in 2nd and 3rd Gears.

It is like a gearshift vibration and is enhanced when tightly grabbing the gearshift knob. (I have a noisy knob? - now that’s a worry!!)

Seriously, I have removed the gearbox twice and ended up replacing all bearing in the box and the Input shaft. The gears all seem in top condition. Still it remains the same.
Is this a problem or is this a normal fault with this particular gearbox?
I would be extremely pleased if anyone could help and advise me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message
Regards and thank you :uu:

Gerry Noterey
coordinator@australianoutdoors.com

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Does it slide into gear easily ? I am wondering if it could be the syncromesh between the gears. It tends to go in second then thirs gear on most cars.
Just a thought from my experiences of vehicles on there last legs (not saying yours is).
Cheers
Rich

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I don't know either, is there a Nissan Owners forum where you could ask? I know there are several for Land Rovers, but I don't know about Japanese stuff.

Dave

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Check all the engine mounts and gearbox mounts. These are a common source of vibrations and can look and feel like a much more serious (and expensive) engine/gearbox problems.

If they check out check out the propshafts and drive shafts and check for axle wear. This is trickier to spot. I doubt that if the gears work and are smooth that a box problem could get as bad that it shakes the gear stick.

Check and eliminate the obvious (and cheap) before doing anything expensive!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE