Nikwax or Waxing for waterproofing cotton

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2006
Oxford
Can someone give some advice about the differences in performance/quality between the Nikwax wash in cotton treatment and something like the Barbour wax treatment that you can buy for the Barbour range of jackets. Interested in waterproofing a cheap cotton jacket.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've used Nikwax on my Goretex, plus I have a Barbour. Unfortunately I haven't needed to re-wax the Barbour yet (will do soon) so I can't really tell what it's like. However, at a guess I would say that the Nikwax will be miles easier - just bung the jacket in the washing machine and job's a good 'un. Waxing something from scratch will probably be lots harder than just giving something a reproof.

No idea about durability of the waterproofness, although presumably adding a layer of wax would strengthen the cotton more than a thin film of Nikwax.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE