Nikon D90 and kit lenses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hello,

I’ve been looking at buying a Nikon D90. Even though some reviewers hint at a replacement in the next few months there are unanimously rave reviews for the camera – do users on here agree?

However, the same reviewers tend to be a bit dismissive of the two kit lenses. Has anybody bought the kit lenses and what did you think?

Cheers

Andy

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
I have a D90 with the 18-105mm VR kit lens. Its a nice walk about lens for everyday use, colour is nice, images are clear and the speed is okay. I will admit I tend to use a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 90% of the time, as its small, gives great results and if I need a closer shot, I'm happy enough to walk towards it. If I want to photograph animals I use a Sigma 70-300mm as I want the longer reach.

I think what lens you use and if its good tends to be more about the kind of stuff you want to shoot and the way you like to work.

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
Thanks for that, I’d heard bad things about barrel and chromatic distortion on them.

I've had mine for over a year and have not seen any issues. Its one of my favourite cameras but if you can live with out that range, you can always get the D90 body and a cheap 50mm or 35mm which are both great lenses and give better images.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
mate if you ask me who was in your persition 3/4 months ago and who baught a D3000 well i would say get a d3000 because i went to jessops the cheapest place then, (unless you are like me who got a discount at currys thanks to internet vouchers) i was told by the sale man that the d300o has replaced the d90 and i have to say having played with my brothers mates one i will tell you the D3000 is way better just my opinion though and what the sales man told me ymmv

drew

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Here!

D90 all the way, great camera. Really fantastic bit of kit. I am so happy that I did not get the D3000 or 5000.

I cannot comment on the kit lens, but it if you get the 18-55 I hear that that is not at all that bad:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55-ii.htm

And with VR: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr.htm (dunno if it is sold as kit lens nowadays)

Ken Rockwell is a demi god when it comes to Nikon, or so I heard... He has reviews of all the cameras in question too.

Also, Trey Radcliff (stuckincustoms) recommends the D90 as the entry level DSLR of choice.

Hope this helps

Mike

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks all, the question is not so much the D90, I'm sold on that, it's not my proffession anymore so I can't justify moving higher up the food chain for just a snapping camera. what I really wanted to know is are the two common Nikon kit lenses supplied with it at discounted rates any good, or would they let the camera down and would I be better investing elsewhere in the Nikor range?

Thanks for the input thus far.

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
mate if you ask me who was in your persition 3/4 months ago and who baught a D3000 well i would say get a d3000 because i went to jessops the cheapest place then, (unless you are like me who got a discount at currys thanks to internet vouchers) i was told by the sale man that the d300o has replaced the d90 and i have to say having played with my brothers mates one i will tell you the D3000 is way better just my opinion though and what the sales man told me ymmv

drew

The D3000 has no in-body autofocus motor which means AF and AF-D lenses that have no motor become manual-focus only, the D90 has a in-body autofocus motor so its not an issue. The D3000 has the same sensor but is lacking in some key features. The D90 is a great camera and the top LCD is really useful.

No offence, but your mate was lied to, the D3000 is their entry-level model, its more a replacement for the D60. The D90 replacement is meant to be called the D7000 and is not out yet.

Thanks all, the question is not so much the D90, I'm sold on that, it's not my proffession anymore so I can't justify moving higher up the food chain for just a snapping camera. what I really wanted to know is are the two common Nikon kit lenses supplied with it at discounted rates any good, or would they let the camera down and would I be better investing elsewhere in the Nikor range?

If I could only have one lens it would be the Nikon 18-200MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR II DX. Its a great all round lens and everyone seems to love it. (bit pricey)

Last edited:

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing

Yeah that's it. I have had both those, but sold the Sigma 10-20mm for the newer Sigma 8-16mm as I wanted something a little wider. The Sigma 10-20mm is a great lens for shooting scenery, very, very wide and really great results. The issue is its not really ideal for everything, I can live with 18-200mm for everything and be happy with the images. I tend to think of a Sigma 10-20mm like I would a 90mm macro lens, really great to have but its suited for a task and not a great all rounder.

Jul 15, 2010
Sherwood Forest
it's not my proffession anymore so I can't justify moving higher up the food chain for just a snapping camera.
You've answered the second part of the question with your first statement.

what I really wanted to know is are the two common Nikon kit lenses supplied with it at discounted rates any good, or would they let the camera down and would I be better investing elsewhere in the Nikor range?

There good enough for a snapping camera.
But if you want more out of your camera you'll no doubt need better glass.

Probably the best bang for buck would be getting a nifty 50mm 1.8

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
You've answered the second part of the question with your first statement.

There good enough for a snapping camera.
But if you want more out of your camera you'll no doubt need better glass.

Probably the best bang for buck would be getting a nifty 50mm 1.8

Yeah I really love the Nikon 50mm 1.8, I think their about £90, just don't use a UV filter (for protection) on them at night as you never get good results.

Baldrick1974

Oct 7, 2007
Derby
I've been using the D90 for 12 months now and it is a fantastic bit of kit and I have found it even better to use than my uncle's D300, which was twice the price of the D90 body. I use it with the Nikon 18 - 200mm VRII lens which has to be one of the best all round lenses I have ever used. It is expensive and quite heavy but you shouldn't need another general use lens if you decide to buy one.

I did decide to also buy an MB-D80 grip to go with the lens as it makes the whole outfit much better balanced.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks Baldric, are you happy with the sharpness, colour and focus time of the lens?

What's its macro capabilities like?

Jul 15, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Sigma 8-16mm as I wanted something a little wider. The Sigma 10-20mm is a great lens for shooting scenery, very, very wide and really great results.
I would like to see some shots taken with the 8-16mm if it's no trouble.
I'm mulling over wides at the moment and any views opinions you have on the lens would be greatly appreciated.

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
I would like to see some shots taken with the 8-16mm if it's no trouble.
I'm mulling over wides at the moment and any views opinions you have on the lens would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1381252@N21/ is the Flickr group for the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM.

I like it but I mainly use it as I wanted a 35mm lens, but a 35mm lens is not a 35mm lens when you are dealing with a cropped sensor. I also use it for country side stuff and coastal walks.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE