Nikkon D40 to PC?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I wonder if anybody here knows why I seem unable to get my PC to see the above camera? Running Ubuntu 14.04, and have swapped the camera USB settings 'twixt mass storage and PTP.
Formatted a small (1gb) SD card, tried different leads?..........:confused:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I can read the card normally in the cardreader, but I need to connect to the PC to get a firmware upgrade.

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Just download the firmware directly onto the (newly formatted) SD card in the reader, then put the SD into the camera and go through the update via the camera menu chap.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just download the firmware directly onto the (newly formatted) SD card in the reader, then put the SD into the camera and go through the update via the camera menu chap.

Now why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks, Alf, that's the site I went to to get the updated firmware. There are a number of reasons, however, why this is not going to be as straightforward as I'd thought, not least amongst them my lack of competence :(

Firstly, the camera I've got has only the very earliest firmware installed and it seems I need to do the update in at least two steps; and secondly I don't use any microsoft OS's, just Ubuntu. Not insurmountable, any of it, just confusing for an old fart like me! I have the distinct impression that Nikon stuff is infamous for the ease with which this kind of thing can go awry so I'm going to have to do a lot of reading and then switch off the 'phone for a few hors one day and sit here until it's done. But before that I'm trying to think of somebody nearby who'll just say "Oh that stuff - ten minute job, bring it 'round and I'll sort it for you".........

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thanks, Alf, that's the site I went to to get the updated firmware. There are a number of reasons, however, why this is not going to be as straightforward as I'd thought, not least amongst them my lack of competence :(

Firstly, the camera I've got has only the very earliest firmware installed and it seems I need to do the update in at least two steps; and secondly I don't use any microsoft OS's, just Ubuntu. Not insurmountable, any of it, just confusing for an old fart like me! I have the distinct impression that Nikon stuff is infamous for the ease with which this kind of thing can go awry so I'm going to have to do a lot of reading and then switch off the 'phone for a few hors one day and sit here until it's done. But before that I'm trying to think of somebody nearby who'll just say "Oh that stuff - ten minute job, bring it 'round and I'll sort it for you".........

I think Nikon make this harder than it needs to be. I use Olympus and it is very easy to sort this stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE