Night out in woods

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey guys,

Tomorrow me and Briantrubshaw off of here are off for a camp in my local woods, we're a bit concerned that its going to absolutely lash it down! So I have a couple of questions

I have about 4 tarps so we will probably have a tarp each for hammocks and then two set up as a sort of communal area, my questions are

A) Can we have a fire under the tarps, if its a small one just for cooking on and the tarps are high enough (i plan on climbing up the trees to tie the tarps quite high, is this a silly idea?)

B) if the heavens do decide to open, I can't imagine there will be a lot for us to do so do you guys have any suggestions of what we can do whilst sat under the tarps whilst it pi%%es down around us :p

Thanks

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You'll be fine with a small fire under a tarp set around 8ft high.

You don't need to occupy yourselves. Sitting there and watching the rain, enjoying the smell and each others company will be enough. Some of my favourite camping experiences have been with teh rain lashing down, while being snug and dry underneath. Makes going out into the woods more fun too as you just know no one else will be about.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
hmm, I like to be doing something... can't sit still ;) my plan was to make a bench but obviously if its raining i can't :( so maybe carve...or make some leather pouches hmmm

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I'd love to but I dont own a crook knife so cant make the bowl :( and dont really fancy trying the whole, burn it out with an ember method. I can see that going horribly wrong! haha and nope there isn't! last year me and my friend in our last summer holiday before I started work we spent a week living outdoors in the woods, I only went home once for more water and that was it :)

Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Were back now! :D All was fine, the heavens only opened for about 30mins then we were free to collect fire wood, even though it was the toughest wood we had ever come across and would not split :( and we also discovered one log that physically glowed in the dark! strange times occurring lol.
Had a great night getting to know eachother and chatting, would never have had this opportunity if it wasn't for this forum!

Was in great company ended up just relaxing all night! I look forward to next time Bushcraftsman!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cool, a luminescent log, never seen one of those.

Good to see you had a good time with little rain. It's been driving me bonkers this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE