Nice weekend away

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Aragorn,

Personally, I don't think I'd use the Shangri-La with a heater. There is only one exit and the tent is made of lightweight synthetic materials. I certainly wouldn't have anything that could spark.

Having said that, I have cooked in mine on a small gas stove. Depending on what configuration you have, you can clear space for bare ground inside:

a. The Nest. Unpeg the front few and push the nest back to the rear of the tent.

b. Groundsheet. Again, unpeg the front/side and fold it back.

c. Half-Groundsheet. This only covers half of the floor space anyway so just set it up how you want it.

I wouldn't use a liquid fuel stove or trangia because of the risk of burning fuel spills but I have used a Jetboil or small gas burner with a windshield. With the Jetboil, you can also use the hanging kit from the central pole. Usual rules apply (no excessive movement in the tent when stove is on and, at least with the Jetboil, you can hold it steady by the handle.

Horses for courses, etc.

They are great tents, though. Very versatile and surprisingly lightweight if you use with just a groundsheet.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Easiest way to heat a Hex is a small gas lantern, I have a hook that I made so the lantern is secure and off ground. I will use a liquid fuel stove in it and not worry so long as I take care when priming it but thats up to you. There are lots of tent heater about but they are usually paraffin or meths powered (I have some) but not very buscrafty for the purists amongst us.

My only gripe with the Hex or any tipi style tent is the lost space because of the sloping walls and the need to keep the doors shut if it raining or the inner floor will get wet fast.

I'll get a Juno 800 as in under £100 and big enough for my new needs, but if I invest a lot of money on a tent in the future it won't be a tipi style, more something 'box' like in design.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE