Nice little axe find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I picked up this little Kent pattern axe in a box of tools at auction, cost woks out to be at about 50p.

I have been on a lookout for a nice light axe and it appears to fit my needs surprisingly well. It weighs 1lb 10 oz / 730g all in and the handle length is 14" / 36cm.

It doesn't appear to be that old as there was a trace of a sticker on it but there's no other marks. Anyone any idea about the make?

Anyway, before and after pics after giving it a bit of a clean. I'll give it a better grind and sharpen when I've had a bit of a play with it and once I've made a little mask.

axe_1.jpg

axe_2.jpg

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
What's the primary intended use of the Kent pattern axe head shape. Splitter? Carver?is it as flat as it looks?.i see these pop up on here all the time but I've never seen or used one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm not sure what they are designed for but this one will be used for woodworking rather than splitting. So, carving tool handles, spoon blanks etc. The edge is nice and long and the blade is very narrow making a nice light axe for fine work.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
They were traditionally used for hedge-laying, limbing and green woodwork in general; they're great for trimming up pleachers and all the usual Hazel coppice products. A great all-round small hatchet.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Interesting structure and shape don't they.gonna keep my eye out for one.can you get small one at say 500g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've got a Kent pattern stamped NCB (national coal board) and apparently liberated from a coal mine one of the older gents from the pub worked in. Not sure what use it would have been on the face, but I use it for everything. Splitting, chopping, carving the lot. Great versatile shape

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE