Newby

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madspringer

May 17, 2014
West Yorkshire
Well after starting to help out a local scouts again I thnk its about time i start replenishing my own kit bags as its now time start getting back out again

what would recommend i need to start with ? I have plenty of normal camping gear so looking at more bushcraft stuff i reckon

Most of old scout stuff has gone missing over the years :(

I have knives and axe .. well may be on look out for new fixed blade or even larger machete type at some point.

Cheers

Steve

rg598

Native
Welcome to the forum Steve. Seems to me like you are already set. If you have the standard type of camping gear, i.e. backpack, tent or tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, a pot, stove, water filter, etc, and on top of that you have a knife and an axe, there really isn't much more you need. The thing to focus on now is developing your skills with all those tools, and refining what you really need.

There is a lot of fashion in bushcraft, and we tend to focus on things that for each of us defines "bushcraft", but ultimately, that's not what this is all about. There are people here who use only natural materials because for that that is an important part of bushcraft. For me it is not, so I use a lot of synthetic stuff. All of us however do bushcraft. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that there is any specialized gear you need in order to do this "right".

madspringer

May 17, 2014
West Yorkshire
Most of the stuff i have is a set up for mainly family camping ir big tent, double stoves airbeds .. stuff to fill the car to brim and go.

I was thinking more of stuff that I would be able to get into a bag and either walk or be able to piler till we get where wer are going.

if that makes sense :)

Cheers

Steve

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Answer: Depends how much you want to spend. and what you're wanting to do.

Working upon the assumption, you want to equip yourself to be able to go out into the woods and have a comfortable time of it if I was on a budget and starting out, I would get:

- Snugpak SF 1 sleeping bag
- Alpkit Hunka bivvi bag
- Alpkit Riga Tarp
- CCF sleeping matt (with a view to adding an Exped synmat 7 UL when money permits).
- Evernew 400ml cup
- Evernew 600ml pan
- BPL Pocket stove + universal trivet + meths burner (either evernew titanium or original trangia)
- Svord Peasant mini Knife
- Bahco Laplander folding saw
- Peanut lighter
- Half a dozen Look What We Found meal bags (waitrose stock the largest range)
- Bison Bottle bandit x 2
- 2 x 1.25l coke bottles (empty)
- Sawyer Mini filter
- Foldacup set (large + small)
- Alpkit snap wires (set of 3)
- Polymath products EDC fire kit
- Set of walking poles
- BPL toilet trowel
- Sea-to-summit Outhouse

And put it all in an Osprey Talon 44

Done

Aside from the saw and knife, it's not really bushcraft specific, just generally light camping kit for general use in the UK in summer. In winter I'd definatly want the exped mat, and use the Snugpak SF2 bag instead. But this is just my view, ask 5 bushcrafters to recommend you an item of equipment, you will get 8 different answers...

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Julia

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Answer: Depends how much you want to spend. and what you're wanting to do.

Working upon the assumption, you want to equip yourself to be able to go out into the woods and have a comfortable time of it if I was on a budget and starting out, I would get:

- Snugpak SF 1 sleeping bag
- Alpkit Hunka bivvi bag
- Alpkit Riga Tarp
- CCF sleeping matt (with a view to adding an Exped synmat 7 UL when money permits).
- Evernew 400ml cup
- Evernew 600ml pan
- BPL Pocket stove + universal trivet + meths burner (either evernew titanium or original trangia)
- Svord Peasant mini Knife
- Bahco Laplander folding saw
- Peanut lighter
- Half a dozen Look What We Found meal bags (waitrose stock the largest range)
- Bison Bottle bandit x 2
- 2 x 1.25l coke bottles (empty)
- Sawyer Mini filter
- Foldacup set (large + small)
- Alpkit snap wires (set of 3)
- Polymath products EDC fire kit
- Set of walking poles
- BPL toilet trowel
- Sea-to-summit Outhouse

And put it all in an Osprey Talon 44

Done

Aside from the saw and knife, it's not really bushcraft specific, just generally light camping kit for general use in the UK in summer. In winter I'd definatly want the exped mat, and use the Snugpak SF2 bag instead. But this is just my view, ask 5 bushcrafters to recommend you an item of equipment, you will get 8 different answers...

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Julia

That's a good kit list there I like it.

Sent from somewhere?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE