newbie wanting to make himself a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
hi im looking in to making myself a knife.
as i have never made anything like this b4 i thought id ask for some help and advice on this subject :)

i dont really have any tools and im on a tight budget just to make things harder lol

ive been looking at some kits made by EnZo and some on the greenman site but was wondering what people recommended and what sort of tools i would need
thanks for your help
xan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I put together my first kit with nothing more than a penknife, some sandpaper a hammer and some glue :)
Making your own anything is very satisfying!
I would go for a plain Puuko style for a first knife...mine was a skinner and I rarely use it now...

by the way - I would lose the "text speak" in posts ...some of us oldies realy prefer fully written words...could be an age thing... or a love of our language :)

Have fun making the first of your knives (there will be more!) :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Greenpetes tutorials are the mark against which many others are marked - though they are a little harder to find these days - search Greenpete.co.uk or similar for the series of video clips - of a woodlore-ish made from a file out in the woods with no mains power!

I started with a full kit but it's not really necessary, a plain blade will do just fine. Beware though, it'll become addictive!

ATB

Ogri the trog

I put together my first kit with nothing more than a penknife, some sandpaper a hammer and some glue :)
Making your own anything is very satisfying!
I would go for a plain Puuko style for a first knife...mine was a skinner and I rarely use it now...

by the way - I would lose the "text speak" in posts ...some of us oldies realy prefer fully written words...could be an age thing... or a love of our language :)

Have fun making the first of your knives (there will be more!) :D

my erstwhile associate xander has quite severe dylexia and finds it easier to use text speak John ;)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
First off what style of knife do you want when you are finished. I do not want to start a debate about fulltang or stick tang but which would you prefer.

For instance some of the Enzo fulltang or Enzo Stick tang kits need nothing more than a clamp and some sandpaper (possible a drill) and a bit of glue.

Othe kits may need a drill maybe needle files or a dremel type tool files would be useful but you can manage with sanpaper and some clamps.

One big tip is always have the blade covered in tape to prevent injury of damage.

When you say how much you wixh to spend and what style you want then more advice can be given.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
ooo and ill try not useing text talk i know it can upset people when i miss spell stuff lest that way you know what im saying :)

Good man! - Personally I find mis-spelling easier on the eye than text speak (my spelling and keyboard skills leave a lot to be desired - when writing for magazines, books etc I write it all aout in capitals on scrap paper and my long suffering wife types and proofreads everything :)).
As a member of the "Coffin Dodgers" age group I rarely text and just plain do not understand some of the "Text Speak".
I admire anyone who has dyslexia and yet perseveres with writing - it just has to be a hard job!
Have fun with the knife project - but be aware that it is addictive! :D

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I think a trip to a car boot for a couple of files would be a god start! Anneal one and use the other to shape it :) I think realistically if you have the time to dedicate to it (and patience) that you could make a knife (minus sheath) for about a fiver. One OLD file ~£1, Small epoxy set ~£3, wood of choice from the local area (spalted birch for me :)) £free, bit of rod or some old masonry nails for pins ~£1 Job done not taking tools into account!

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
im sure i can beg borrow or steal some tools ;) but i have never made anything like this before so im leaning towords a kit just need to find a good one

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A hack saw, drill and a couple of files are all that is needed to get you going - but that does enter you into the magical world of heat treatment.

The enzo kit is a very good place to start and Brisa have an excellent reputation and come highly recommended from many forum members.

Another option is the nordic kits they sell too.
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE