Newbie wanting to go hammoking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hello chaps!

I have made plans to go out on a camping trip into the woods. I really want to go for a hammock and tarp combo, but there's a lot of different choices out there, and I really would like if you guys can point me to some great starter stuff!

As always thank you in advance!!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
See if you can borrow a few different types of hammock to see what you think of them, before committing to buy one. I have a Tenth Wonder Green Hornet, great bit of kit, sadly TW seem to no longer trade.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
There is a DD hammock group buy coming up (1st April). We have 4 of them and I really rate them for function and price. Shoot on to their web site to see the range of "stuff" and reviews then buy via the group buy. There is nothing like being well hung!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull

Those hammocks normally cost about £15, sellers just put crazy high prices on so they don't have to relist the item.

Hopefully Tw will start trading again as I recommend their gear. But failing that I'd take Hammock_man's advice and go with the DD group buy.

If it were me I'd be getting a DD camping hammock (or the frontline if bug netting is important to you, but avoid the waterproof base one) the DD woopie sling suspension combo, and a DD underquilt. Tarp wise you could go for a DD 3x3 and pitch it as a diamond. Although shop around my hammock tarp is 3.6x2.8m and I find that the ideal size for hammocking.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I had an email from Neil at Tenth Wonder hammocks this morning - he is definitely still in business and should have a huge amount of new stock available any day now. I'm just about to order a Compact XL as I can't get comfortable with my regular hammock.
Hope this helps
Phil

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I hope tenth wonder get things sorted soon, after seeing Colins hornet i bought one myself also had a look at the dd front line but the hornet seemed better made to me.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I had an email from Neil at Tenth Wonder hammocks this morning - he is definitely still in business and should have a huge amount of new stock available any day now. I'm just about to order a Compact XL as I can't get comfortable with my regular hammock.
Hope this helps
Phil

Excellent news. I have the xl it's a great hammock and very easy to get a flat lay.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I bought a few ultralight hammocks from TW a couple of weeks ago - I bought one years ago, now I'm fed up with the kids kicking me out so I thought I'd get one for them each.

I asked if he could do a pink one for my daughter but he said he's not heard from his production guy for a while [I guess that's why folks think they're not in business].

It's good to hear he's hopeful to get some new stock in as I am another who thinks they are great.

Get a TW hammock [they are the cheapest I've found anywhere] and a cheap builders tarp and if you don't like hammocking then not much wasted - if you do there's plenty of time to spend more money....

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
I have a couple of different DD hammocks and a 3x3 tarp and they have been great. Would recommend whoopie slings instead of the default attachments (unless you go for the ultralight version where it's standard) in case of heavy rain and make sure you get some insulation underneath you - still pretty cold overnight. Sure other brands above are fine though, not heard anything negative about TW or Snugpak.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE