Newbie - Wanting to get 1st bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 20, 2013
United Kingdom
Hola, am new here.
Not very extreme in terms of adventuring but been doing hiking, some climbing, road + mtb cycling for a while now.
Where I live once there are wild dogs, boars, tigers, cobras, giant human eating snakes etc if ya lucky enough to meet them.. or not :)

But I have never had a fixed knife in my life before, dad owns a parang... but not something I would want to carry around..
Got a Swiss knife/good stuff and a cheapo switch blade/not here which I can't trust with my life
Thought I will ask for some advice with more experienced knife owners before committing to get one.

I like Mora's coz they are cheap and known to be good but would prefer a wooden handle one like a pukko to be paired with my Swiss and an Opinel and a fire starter
Budget of around 35 - 40 quid...

Anyone here makes knives and sells them that falls to that budget? Do gimme a shout

Usage - For some carvings, survival practice, starting fire, cooking
Prefer carbon steel, length not exceeding 4.5 inch, width not exceeding 1.5 inch (just roughly)
Please correct this inexperienced young man if I have given inappropriate details on knives :eek:

Thanks very much.

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
I would suggest that a Mora Companion in stainless steel would be better as a first bushcraft knife. Safer and less maintenance. Great performance. You will get one sooner or later, so you might as well start with one. ;)

That said, I understand wanting to have a wooden handle and a more traditional knife.

One step up from the Mora Classics described above is the Mora Classic Original 1. Same shape, but with the original laminated steel that made Mora the success it became. Sheath in faux leather made of pressed fibre. The sheath is designed to hang from a button on your clothes. Oiled birch handle. Lovely knife.

morakniv_classic_original_1.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2013
United Kingdom
Decision has been made, I have bought a Mora Classic No 2 and an Opinel No 12 from Moonraker

Mora for doing some survival practice and Opinel for cooking + backup
Paired with my small Swiss knife as a tool kit + back back up.

Thanks so much for the advice. Saves me a lot of money on the Mora + Opinel = 25 quid.
Will make a leather sheath for them soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE