newbie rucksack

Oct 1, 2014
skipton
Ive had a search but still im inable to find exactly what im after, im new to bushcraft and am just in the process of getting some gear together. Funds arent huge as im funding my way through college and ive just booked a nice holiday in mexico. My question is, im after a rucksack of some sort preferably something around 40 litres ish for around 40 or 50 quid? Seen the dd bergen, alsohighlander 44 and the the mil tec tactical bags in amazon any thoughts? Thanks.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If I were in your situation I'd be looking at a surplus Lowe Alpine Strike, a very good and comfortable 40L pack that'll take PLCE pockets if you need it to. You'll get an ex Dutch army one for your budget or less :)

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
+1 for a Dutch Army Lowe Alpine Sting. Outstanding adjustable pack that should last for years. They come up on e bay or I believe Surplus and Outdoors and Endicotts have them within your budget.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The highlanders are very well made, a good price, & available in lots of places so you can see before you buy. They don't fetch much second hand, so ebay would be a good source for them.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have no idea what you'll find in Mexico, but I would wait and have a look around while there.

You might find something nice at a bargain price. The worst case scenario is that you find nothing worthwhile and buy when you get back home.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...and ive just booked a nice holiday in mexico....im after a rucksack of some sort preferably something around 40 litres ish for around 40 or 50 quid? Seen the dd bergen, alsohighlander 44 and the the mil tec tactical bags..."

Are you taking the pack on holiday to Mexico with you? If so, buy something used of Ebay, battered but not so abused that the seams will give way. Do not buy anything too military looking, do not buy anything that sets your pack apart from any of the others that folks on buses, trains, hotels and hostels might have.

You need something that fits you and is comfy, so try out a few brands at the local climbing/camping shop to get an idea of how they sit on your back.

Do not dwell too much on 'which pack' or 'which thingy' it is entirely possible that your pack and all of its contents may be stolen or lost either in or on the way to and from your destination. If that happens it doesn't really matter, you can pick up a 40l rucksack locally for next to nothing, or you could throw something together with a blanket and some string.

The most important things to get home are you, the contents of your camera SD cards and any notebooks you might have with you. Keep them on your person, everything else is replaceable and their loss will be just another story to tell.

Have fun and post some photos here on your return.

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE