newbie question

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Hi all,
I am ready to take the plunge and make my first puukko. I have made some full tang kits and they turned out good enough to give to friends for the holidays. My question is this: How do you fit the front bolster on a Lauri progressive temper Puukko blade? The grind is carried out into the tang about 1 3/4 inches. The problem is this, in order for the bolster to go over the back of the tang it has to be wider than the ground part of the tang in the front. Any help or ideas welcomed. Thanks in advance.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
You will probably be better off asking this question over on British Blades.

There are also a number of Scandi tutorials on the front page there.

Theres a link here on the main forums page to BB.

Jun 17, 2006
Watford
Hi mate

What material were you going to use for the bolster?
The reason I ask is because you can buy pre fitted brass or nickel ferules which will fit perfectly over the tang.
ferr9.jpg

Colin KC

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 21, 2003
The Bottom of England
Harold,

push the ferrule onto the tang until it stops, mark that part with a magic marker.

File, or grind that part of the tang until the ferrule will move further up.

Continue until it rests on the shoulders.

Hope that helps ;)

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Colin KC said:
Harold,

push the ferrule onto the tang until it stops, mark that part with a magic marker.

File, or grind that part of the tang until the ferrule will move further up.

Continue until it rests on the shoulders.

Hope that helps ;)
Thanks Collin that helps alot. I measured the tang and the tang will fit in the upper slot of the bolster I tried your method tonight and it worked great. I will give a hint from my own personal experiance, file the black carbon of the tang, it will give false high spots. that is probably why I have the tang slot in the bolster to wide. :) I have an "emergency order to Pat Percival at North Coast knive for a new bolster and some other supplies.thanks again!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE